The crown jewel of my collection of "Marine KA-BAR" knives

gunbarrel

Thanks to Frank Trzaska's latest military knife sale, I was able to fill in a special spot in my collection of "Marine KA-BAR's"...or, more correctly, my collection of USMC 1219C2 knives.

My “new” Robeson Shuredge is the rarest of the four WWII manufacture USMC 1219C2 knives to find. There were very few produced during the war years in comparison to the other brands, as you can see below:

Manufacturer - Number of Knives Produced

KA-BAR brand (Union Cutlery Co.) 500,000-510,000

Camillus Cutlery Co. 353,000

Pal Blade Co. 100,000

Robeson Cutlery Co. 10,000

A couple of things about the knife; it has definitely seen use. The Robeson handle is almost undistinguishable from the PAL handle; that’s probably why my knife was rebuilt with a PAL handle. The blade is not perfect either, but this veteran has character. Imagine how thrilled to find out that on the back side of the sheath is inscribed:

_R.NELL_

PHM1c

10th Marines

It was a Navy Corpsman’s knife!

If this knife could talk! The 10th Marine Regiment is an artillery unit under the command of the 2nd Marine Division. During WWII it participated in the assault on Guadalcanal and in the battles of Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian and Okinawa.

Hopefully, sometime soon I will post pictures of my entire collection of Mark 2 and USMC 1219C2 knives. If anyone is interested on seeing what Frank has for sale, click on this link:

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/military_knife_sales.htm

post-70-1274063908.jpg

Yeah..she is gorgeous and to a Corpsman to boot!!!

Great score GB.I have been trolling for a Robe for a while.Maybe one day......

RD

Still-A-Marine

First off - Great Knife.

I had to go back and look but I do think I see some very small differences in the handle between my PAL and Robeson Shuredge USMC knives. It would take an expert like Frank Trzaska to even notice the rebuild.

It may just be me but I like the feel of the Robeson Shuredge over the other "Ka-Bars."

Here is the handle of my Robeson for comparison purposes. Bill

post-4347-1274091341.jpg

post-4347-1274091353.jpg

Gunbarrel- I would never have caught that it was a PAL handle either. After looking though, you can see handle wear is inconsistant with blade, and scabbard wear. I had to go check out my PAL Navy 37. Did notice that your USMC does not have the black spacers, of a PAL. Do realize that the early knives were screw on pommels, so the replacement is feasible. Really cool! I have a Robeson USN, and a Ka-Bar USMC w/ blue blades. Love em! THX SKIP

Thanks, guys! Appreciate the kind words. Bill, that's a very nice blade you got there, too! :thumbsup:

My son and I just caught the KA-BAR bug and so far only have 3, none with the colored washers, but your's has inspired a search. :bravo:

Still-A-Marine

The best I can tell their are 11 main variations of the USMC WW2 "Ka-Bar" knives. I still need 4 and they are made by Ka-Bar. It seems like the prices for these have jumped. I'm hoping they come back down so I can finish out this group in my collection. I prefer the "been there done that" look so that helps. But still will require quite a bit of money to finish out. Bill

Have:

KA-BAR / U.S.M.C. rectangle pin thick butt with large USMC park blade

CAMILLUS N.Y. / U.S.M.C.

CAMILLUS N.Y. / U.S.M.C. (guard marked)

PAL / USMC

PAL / USMC smooth handle with aluminum pommel like RH36

PAL smooth handle with aluminum pommel like RH36

ROBESON SHUREDGE / U.S.M.C.

Still need:

KA-BAR / U.S.M.C. rectangle pin thin butt with small USMC

KA-BAR / OLEAN N.Y. / U.S.M.C. threaded tang thick butt

KA-BAR / OLEAN N.Y. / U.S.M.C. threaded tang thin butt red spacers

KA-BAR / OLEAN N.Y. threaded tang thick butt straight guard

Frank Trzaska
Have:

KA-BAR / U.S.M.C. rectangle pin thick butt with large USMC park blade

Thick pommels did not have pins, they were all peened in place. If you have a think pommel with a pin it is a reproduction, that is one way to tell them apart.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Still-A-Marine
Thick pommels did not have pins, they were all peened in place. If you have a think pommel with a pin it is a reproduction, that is one way to tell them apart.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

It was a typo. Should have been -

Have:

KA-BAR / U.S.M.C. peened rectangle thick butt with large USMC park blade

Thanks for catching that Frank. It could have caused confusion. Also thanks for the tip on spotting reproductions. :thumbsup: Bill

Hi Guys,i saw this thread and thought i'd add pics of my Robeson USMC.As you can see the knife has been carried and has around 70% of the original blueing.I got this knife from a seller in Australia who claimed to have got it from the USMC vet.The sheath i believe is original to the knife and as you can see is a left handed version.I seem to remember reading that the early Robeson USMC knife was issued in a sheath with black stitching which this one has, but i have never seen another one like it and wondered if Robeson would have supplied it with a left handed sheath or if it is a private purchase item.i Would be interested to know if any other members have or have seen a similar sheath.

Thanks,Steve.

post-8261-1274378858.jpg

post-8261-1274379136.jpg

Still-A-Marine
Hi Guys,i saw this thread and thought i'd add pics of my Robeson USMC.As you can see the knife has been carried and has around 70% of the original blueing.I got this knife from a seller in Australia who claimed to have got it from the USMC vet.The sheath i believe is original to the knife and as you can see is a left handed version.I seem to remember reading that the early Robeson USMC knife was issued in a sheath with black stitching which this one has, but i have never seen another one like it and wondered if Robeson would have supplied it with a left handed sheath or if it is a private purchase item.i Would be interested to know if any other members have or have seen a similar sheath.

Thanks,Steve.

Steve, I've not seen that scabbard before. I would think it would have been issued with a 9 rivet scabbard like the one GB has with his Robeson. Maybe someone else has seen one and can chime in. Either way - it’s a nice knife/scabbard you have. Bill

I used to be able to find WW2 KaBars at just about any gun show or militaria show for a reasonable price,but those days are long gone. My collection is just about the opposite of the one above-I have all the KaBar variants, but not the PAL or Robeson (I have a USN Robeson,though)

post-9317-1274455883.jpg

Steve-Nice knife! Love the Robesons. The left hand scabbard resembles the one's that came with the Case 337 6" Q knives. They were left handed, but I can't remember if they could accomodate a 7" blade. I own 12 MK2s, with leather & MK2 fiber scabbards, but have never seen a left handed one. But, "Why not?" SKIP

Thanks Skip,i'm now racking my brains trying to remember the article i read,the blade pocket on this sheath is just unde 8 inches.

Steve.

I own 12 MK2s, with leather & MK2 fiber scabbards, but have never seen a left handed one. But, "Why not?" SKIP

I know what you mean. I've learned to never say "never" in this hobby. :ermm:

Nice blade, Steve! :thumbsup:

Charlie Flick
Thanks Skip,i'm now racking my brains trying to remember the article i read,the blade pocket on this sheath is just unde 8 inches.

Steve.

Steve:

I am not positive but I think the source of the information on that was a Frank Trzaska article in Knife World awhile back.

My USMC Robeson is also in a sheath with black stitching, but I have to pull it out of the bunker to see if it is right or left hand. I'll let you know.

Regards,

Charlie