Academy, B-17C, US 19th BG, Philippines

FRISCAN

I've been working on this creation for the last month or so and I finally finished it the other day...

Not too many B-17C's made it into combat service except for the handful in the Philippines. Many were destroyed of the 35 sent to Clark Field on Luzon and Del Monte Field on Mindanao, of those sent only one survived from Clark Field and 13 from Del Monte. They combined and flew to a field near Darwin, Australia. They proceeded to commence with shipping attacks on the Japanese which they did to little effect in early 1942.

So without further adue here she is...

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0368.jpg

DSCN0371.jpg

DSCN0376.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0380.jpg

DSCN0382.jpg

All constructive criticism or suggestions are all welcomed and appreciated...

Regards,

FRISCAN

Yes, 1:72 in scale... no serious issues with construction. The shafts for the props were a bit tight, small adjustment and thats taken care of... the cockpit of all things was the most difficult. The seats had to be adjusted to fit in the slots made for them. The decals meant for them were a total pain and lastly the crew deck for the bombadier and navigators area has no major way of being tied into the rest of the cockpit assembly... the rest of the cockpit just rests on the back wall, thats it. :unsure:

So, it not a bad model to assemble overall but, it just takes a lot of patience an time to get it right. This particular model is suppose to be polished aluminum in its primary paint scheme(US 2nd BG, Langley Field, VA)but, I like the look of the OD on them better, so I went in that direction.

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments! :thumbsup:

Regards,

FRISCAN

I always thought the B-17C had a 1930's elegant look to it... although the later models had a lot more firepower to protect themselves with.

Rick the Librarian
I always thought the B-17C had a 1930's elegant look to it... although the later models had a lot more firepower to protect themselves with.

I hate to nitpick but the gun positions on the B-17C (and D) were "flat" on the side and top and a metal "tunnel" was fitted ventrally, as well. The aircraft you have appears to be the earlier B model, although the dorsal position isn't as big as the others.

I believe the side "star" should be a little smaller, as well.

I intended my criticism as "positive". An excellent model, though of one of my favorite planes.