Help with WWI (?) Marine Patches

all-bull

Can any verify that these are original WWI, and if so could someone ID them? I think the only one that might not be WWI is the shield shaped piece, but am still unsure of the exact IDs. Thanks a lot in advance!

post-2063-1260839242.jpg

normaninvasion

The top 2 are 2nd Dv, not sure what the 1st shape represents. The bottom is a 5th Brigade USMC. They look good to my eyes for WW1-post WW1 era.

Top left is a WW1 patch of the 2nd Division 9th Infantry Regiment (Army, not Marines). It looks original to me. Top right is a 1920's/30's US Army 2nd Division patch. It appears original.

The bottom 5th Bde patch appears to me to be a fake. Originals are much more defined (in detail). This one is too "sloppy."

Kurt

Agree with Kurt, but want to add that extremely good copies of this 9th Infantry Regt style (ink on cotton) patches are out there. Examine this one very, very carefully.

Not a problem...As most of you probably know, my main area is Vietnam, so if I ask a dumb question, please forgive me. Is there any way that the Marine patch could a "home-made" version as opposed to a fake? And if it is fake, about what time period would it be? I think we have had it for at LEAST 15-20 years, so I am just trying to learn more. Thanks!

Anyway to get some close ups on these patches,esp. the 5th Brig.? Thanks

post-2063-1260925680.jpg

normaninvasion

Thanks for the pics!! Sorry for the miss id, I agree with the others, as I have never seen an example like this on a jacket. The ega lacks the detail. Whether this was period done and ever had life on a uniform, dunno? I'll let more expierenced members chime in. But will add that 2nd ID and USMC patches command a premium and are heavily faked. So when serious cash is at stake one must have little doubt as to authenticity. jeff