Gun Show Snag...One coooool 1916 NYNG photo!

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Well everybody,I stoped at a qunshow with my dad today and about one row into the show I decided to check out the antique pictures that were framed under a table. Well, to my delight was something that fell into my collecting interest but it took a few minutes to click as to what I was really looking at lol. Here is a picture of the NYNG in 1916 at McAllen,Texas -HeadQuerters...about a year before they were turned into the 27th InfaNtry Division. Now what is cool about the shot is that it is a picture,of a Colonel about to take a pictuRE OF General O;Ryan(ww1 Commander of the 27th Diviison,"O'RYANS ROUGHNECKS") and 3 other Generals(not sure if they were part of the 27th during ww1). Now the little things about the picture that makes me ask why,who,for what..etc etc. There are two trees blantley shown un planted in front of the HQ....maybe this was the opening of this HQ?If so,whys the hell does the NYNG have a HQ in Texas??Is,this for training?? If you look at ORyan closely you can see his NYNG collar device,very cool! Another General is smoking a cigar and the one on the far right looks like a guy posessed with a colt 1911 it looks like in right hand. What are those guys doing in the backround?? What is really going on in this picture? All in all,its a great photo because it leaves alot of thoughts and ideas to think of. Maybe some of you can help decipher this one. I hope you enjoy it as I simply love it!!! This ones a damn keeper :thumbsup:

post-22-0-60095400-1449956671.jpg

post-22-0-00606600-1449956677.jpg

post-22-0-35774700-1449956718.jpg

post-22-0-63829500-1449956723.jpg

post-22-0-58679500-1449956728.jpg

post-22-0-57837900-1449956761.jpg

post-22-0-38096300-1449956766.jpg

post-22-0-17914900-1449956771.jpg

post-22-0-97983900-1449956775.jpg

Excellent photo! General Funston is Frederick Funston. Camp Funston in Kansas is named after him. He earned the Medal of Honor during the Span-Am war and if he had not died, was a choice to lead the AEF. Lot of information on the web about him.

Here is a link to some information that I have posted about him before: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...&hl=funston

FightenIrish35

Wow guys thanks for your replys. Your going to laugh but ive never focused myself into that era of learning,but,after a brief "tour" took from those links and doing a little searching Ive learned quit about the War against Pancho. Now what I find VERY interesting is on wikipedia if you search for Funston it shows him in a very similiar uniform with the exact same style uniform ,maybe the same,and the exact two ribbons...do you think that whitish one is the medal of honor ribbon???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Funston

I come to that question because as I was searchin for General Parker I believe I found who he is,but I might be wrong.He ironically won the MOH and he is wearing the exact ribbon Funson is in the picture....are they both wearing the MOH ribbon!!!??That would be so awesome.

Thanks for bearing with me with my lack of knowledge.Im only 2 years into collecting(mostly all ww2 pacific) and still learning as I go lol.So thank you for helping and lending me a hand here guys,I really appreciate it.

Here is who I believe is General Parker in the photo...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Parker_(US_Army_officer)

FightenIrish35

Any body know of any website that lists all of the US General in History? I ask,because Id like to find out who General Smith is on the far right. Thank you guys. :thumbsup:

Cobrahistorian

Outstanding photo Mike!

As mentioned previously, they're in McAllen, Texas because they were down there for the Mexican Expedition in 1916. Brigadier General William Wilson commanded the 3rd Brigade, NYNG on the Mexican Border. Not sure if he made WWI (by that photo, I would think not), but he could have. Downloadable PDF here on the NY NG's war record up to 1917:

http://books.google.com/books?id=EMYqAAAAY...;q=&f=false

FightenIrish35

Excelllllllllllent!!! Thanks Cobra!! I probally wouldnt have been able to find that out by myself. Its great to now know who he was was. And its neat to know he was the commander of the 3rd brigade and O'Ryan whos in the same pictures was in charge of the the division! This info makes this picture tens time more cooler. Im glad I picked it up!! :thumbsup:

Cobrahistorian
Excelllllllllllent!!! Thanks Cobra!! I probally wouldnt have been able to find that out by myself. Its great to now know who he was was. And its neat to know he was the commander of the 3rd brigade and O'Ryan whos in the same pictures was in charge of the the division! This info makes this picture tens time more cooler. Im glad I picked it up!! :thumbsup:

It is interesting to note that before the division was organized, General O'Ryan was the Adjutant General of New York. When the NY NG went to war, he was their leader and became the division commander of the 27th. Very different from today where we have separate Adjutants General and Division Commanders. Looking at the relationship between the two these days is enough to give one a severe brain cramp!

REALLY cool photo Mike, and if you ever think about parting with it, I think I may know a museum that could use it!

Jon