Ribbons on uniforms

OD MAN

Kinda of a weird question, but how come a lot of ribbon bars on WWII uniforms have a mix of dark and faded, dirty and clean, coated and non coated, big and small ribbons? Is that a sign of them be replaced or added on later or what? Here are some examples of what I am talking about...

(two of them are mine)

21eyz6e.jpg

Captainofthe7th

All just a matter of manufacture, storage, and age. The plastic coated ribbons tend to yellow, as do the wax coated type. Wolf Brown plastic ribbons always stay sharp.

Rob

I would suggest that some were purchased while the fellow was in service, before discharge -- the others were probably added when he learned what he was authorized at discharge. This would be true of GCMs and Victory Medals. On the other hand, dealers have been known to enhance uniforms to sell them. You have to make your own decision.

G

Kurt Barickman

In my experience, WWII US Army veterans are the worst for putting ribbons in the correct order and in any semblance of order. Don't know what the deal is but it is very common. :think: \\

Kurt Barickman

In my experience, WWII US Army veterans are the worst for putting ribbons in the correct order and in any semblance of order. Don't know what the deal is but it is very common. :think: \\

Kurt Barickman

ABSOLUTELY!

Can't tell you how many uniforms I've gotten from sales and stuff, and knowing nobody else has fiddled with the stuff, ribbons are on backwards, out of order (sometimes they're even mounted or custom stitched that way!)

I'm kind of skeptical of the "perfect" ribbon sets on WWII uniforms, especially for Junior Enlisted men in the Army. Most of the uniforms in my old uniform collection were direct from the estate / vet and most of them had ribbons put on in some heinous way. Seen the craziest combinations of different manufacturers, odd placement of devices, etc. VERY common to see original WWII uniforms that wouldn't last 2 seconds in a uniform inspection that are indeed 100% legit.

Pinned-on insignia and ribbons could have come from anywhere and there might have been any number of opportunities for them to get switched around over the years: kids playing with them, someone using them as Halloween costumes, someone grabbing various ribbons at random from a box and pinning them on the old uniform for an estate sale, etc. Once in a while you get lucky and find a photo of the vet in uniform with a ribbon rack that matches the ribbons you have in hand.

Stinger Gunner USMC

the 3rd and 4th photo in your initial post are easy explanations. the two ribbon bar was worn prior to receiving his WWII Victory ribbon probably while processing out of the army. Its the last time he is going to wear his uniform, so why is he going to go to the trouble of getting a tripple bar and remounting all his ribbons. he at least took the time to move the double bar over to make them in line.

The one below is the same thing. celephane coated tripple bar and probably issued the Am Campaign following returning home after VE day and ditto with the WWII Victory. Explains why they are cleaner and different manufacture, as the jacket was likely only worn once or twice after those ribbons were added.

The same holds true for the VFW and legion ribbons that are offten found pinned on to the uniform. You will notice that in most cases they are attached above all the other issue ribbons but in a few cases of very proud or active veterans in their hometown parades and whatnot they will mount them on the ribbon bar, last in presidence.

as an example of the crazy things you can find on original WWII army uniforms, I once had a 4 pocket to a Pacific veteran that had a three place bar with two ribbons and a piece of wool cut from the inner excess material to hide the extra part of the ribbon bar to make it appear to be a twin bar. I guess he just didn't want to go to the PX to get the proper mounting bar ?