Boondocker Questions about Repros

islandhopper

Does anyone know if a quality boondocker can be had that is made similar to the USMC or even an Army rough out? Doesn't have to be to spec but I'd want it close. Not really for re-enacting but rather for everyday wear. I liked my Navy boondockers, but I'm wanting something more or the same as the USMC boondockers. I've seen a couple of repros (Sportsman's Guide for instance) but they look more like suade than the actual thing.

Does anyone know if a quality boondocker can be had that is made similar to the USMC or even an Army rough out? Doesn't have to be to spec but I'd want it close. Not really for re-enacting but rather for everyday wear. I liked my Navy boondockers, but I'm wanting something more or the same as the USMC boondockers. I've seen a couple of repros (Sportsman's Guide for instance) but they look more like suade than the actual thing.

Didn't the real thing look like suede until they got beaten up and polished? Check out this: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28323

Check out these boots - they get good reviews from some folks: http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=667&bc=no

Hi. If you've got some money to spend check out the US Army WW2 "rough-outs" on www.eastmanleather.com

Sabrejet

I know the originals had the rough out look, but some of the repros look so thin. I guess that is what I meant. Those ATF boots don't look too bad. Thank you for all the input.

• 3 weeks later...

What size did you order and how did they fit? Did you order your measured foot size or did you order a half size smaller, etc... Thanks guys.

Same size as my Asics PT shoes and the Corcorans I used to wear to work. They fit will, wear like iron and I've put a BUNCH of miles on them, everywhere from Belleau Wood to the Mojave Desert. A coat of Snow Seal and time to break them in and they'll end up being old friends. Bought mine in 2006 and look forward to 3 more years of regular wear!

Thrasher

So you just ordered your size and didn't order a half size smaller? Thanks for the information. Just trying to keep from having to pay shipping three times to get a boot that fits.

So you just ordered your size and didn't order a half size smaller? Thanks for the information. Just trying to keep from having to pay shipping three times to get a boot that fits.

I ordered a half size smaller; recommend you follow whatever directions are on their website. There's also some extra room in the toe, compared to modern shoes, but that's a function of the shape of the toe on the boondockers.

One thing I should have mentioned before - I use cedar shoe trees when I take them off. That seems to help with keeping them shaped right. That's a good investment (get a good pair!).

Good luck!

Steve

I'd recommend the WWII Impressions boondockers - I've had a pair for 3 years, and they wear like iron. Break 'em in well, the occassional coat of SnoSeal and they'll last forever. Don't forget cedar shoe trees.

Good luck,

Steve