issuying ww1 gear during 1943-1944-1945

nicolas75

Hello to all,

Do you have any informations of issuying ww1 gear during 1943-1944-1945 : 1st aid pouches, ammo belt, long bayonet ...

Faced to a million soldiers to gear heading worldwide for the frontlines and in 1943-1944 shortages in many things (we have already talked about the m-1 rifles ones).

As they had a lot of ww1 stuff left and new equipements not everytimes available in stock, it seems it was many times a solution

Looks like it was most of the times issued for drill but many items find their way to the batlle itself as soldiers & equipements replacements mass needs comes

I start with a ww1 ammo belt on 102nd division (although arrived from the states only weeks ago) soldiers during thanksgiving on the German/holland border

It can be seen on the long end of the closure buckle

Testimonies or pics are welcome

post-3574-1250433588.jpg

close up

On the 90th trooper at left : ww1 long end buckle (with a brit made carbine magzaine pocket)

On the ESB trooper at right : ww1 First aid pouch - or maybe the jmqd 1942 model (with a brit made carbine magzaine pocket too)

post-3574-1250446345.jpg

April 26th 1945 - 69th inf division

One more time, it could be the 42' JQMD but with the last shown at least one of them is ww1 :think:

post-3574-1250448099.jpg

This is common throughout US military history, if it works with everything else and does the job, then there is no reason not to issue an item.

One of my favorite examples of this is a personal experience. I was at Camp Pendleton a few years ago, and saw some young Marines at SOI wearing the then new digital cammies and MOLLE gear. None had MOLLE canteen carriers, but were using ALICE covers and MOLLE adapters. I saw about a dozen plastic snap M-1967 canteen carriers mixed in with all the ALICE ones. They worked with the gear and did the job, so why not?

Here are some G.I.s heading for Australia; note the Cartridge Belt on the guy at lower left:

post-3226-1250458901.jpg

It looks like the man at center might have an early ammo belt as well, but it's hard to tell.

Here is the "lower left" belt in the shot above; I've not seen many of these round-flap types...

post-3226-1250459090.jpg

This belt is stamped "Long 3-18"; Canteen Cover is "R.I.A. 1917".

A V.J. parade in Hawaii- there are several M1910 Meatcan Pouches in this photo (sorry for the quality; it's the only pic I have):

post-3226-1250459255.jpg

Marine Raiders training on rope bridge; the guy at center appears to be carrying an early Russell ammo belt, and a leather-tipped M1910 (?) Bayonet Scabbard is hooked to his pack.

post-3226-1250459649.jpg

A little off topic, but I was issued a 1918 dated canteen cup and a M1956 canteen carrier in 2000 when I joined the Air National Guard. I carried those when I deployed to the Persian Gulf in 2004. There was at least one person from my unit to deploy with the steel pot as opposed to a Kevlar helmet.

A little off topic, but I was issued a 1918 dated canteen cup and a M1956 canteen carrier in 2000 when I joined the Air National Guard. I carried those when I deployed to the Persian Gulf in 2004. There was at least one person from my unit to deploy with the steel pot as opposed to a Kevlar helmet.

:w00t:

Don't sound off-topic to me...that's amazing! Makes you wonder how much old stuff is still stashed away in our Military's depots....??

:w00t:

Don't sound off-topic to me...that's amazing! Makes you wonder how much old stuff is still stashed away in our Military's depots....??

It would not suprise me at all. I picked up about a dozen WWI and WWII holsters at the DRMO in Jacksonville back in 1997. They also had WWII issue stretchers in near mint condition as well as about 5 M100 trailers.

older stuff is always used, even when and better things come out. for example, when we invaded bagdad, soldiers wore alice equipment even though molle gear had been issued. the majority wore both alice and molle gear. hope this helped.

older stuff is always used, even when and better things come out. for example, when we invaded bagdad, soldiers wore alice equipment even though molle gear had been issued. the majority wore both alice and molle gear. hope this helped.

It does indeed- once again illustrating that a truly efficient military organization will utilize whatever tools are available that will perform the task, even if it doesn't have a current date or is of the latest design. We lunatic collectors are the only ones concerned with dates, variations, matching gear sets, and all that rot :P:lol:

• 3 months later...

Hello,

So far the participants in this thread indicated details only forgetting about bigger and more elementary items. The first US Army contingent which arrived to Ireland in 1942 looked not so sophisticated like the GIs landing in Normandy. Their helmets and rifles represented WW1 not to mention other items.

Bellow arrival of the first contingent can be seen.

Best regards

Greg

post-75-1260825974.jpg