1920 USMC Books Inscribed to MG Neville

Kadet

On a recent trip to Norfolk, VA I came across two first edition books in an antique store. "Marines and Others" and "Red Pants", both by John W. Thomason. The truly interesting thing about these books is that they were apparently gifts from the author to MG Wendell Neville while he was serving as the Commandant of the Marine Corps in the late 1920s. Neville was one of the most highly decorated officers in USMC history. Both books carry inscriptions to that effect and the signature of the author. The books are very old of course, but are in nice condition. My question: these are way outside of my collecting interest and I would like to find them a new home. What sort of value do they have? I have trouble loading pics to this forum for some reason. I posted them on WAF a few months ago, but received very little feedback.

For those of you w/ WAF access, here is the thread:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ghlight=neville

On a recent trip to Norfolk, VA I came across two first edition books in an antique store. "Marines and Others" and "Red Pants", both by John W. Thomason. The truly interesting thing about these books is that they were apparently gifts from the author to MG Wendell Neville while he was serving as the Commandant of the Marine Corps in the late 1920s. Neville was one of the most highly decorated officers in USMC history. Both books carry inscriptions to that effect and the signature of the author. The books are very old of course, but are in nice condition. My question: these are way outside of my collecting interest and I would like to find them a new home. What sort of value do they have? I have trouble loading pics to this forum for some reason. I posted them on WAF a few months ago, but received very little feedback.

For those of you w/ WAF access, here is the thread:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ghlight=neville

We can't see the photos there either: WAF only lets registered members see photos.

We have posted tips on how to upload photos to this forum: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...hp?showforum=24

OK never mind...it seems to be working now!

Yes I know about that link. For some reason on this forum I get the "loading" prompt until my computer either times out or locks up, even when the pics are sized correctly...

post-110-1248027104.jpg

I have them...I thought they were interesting and purchased them from the dealer along w/ a WWII unit history of the 91st Division.

I'd sure like to know more about these books, who has them now, etc.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

Andy;

What ever you paid, if your happy with them, then you paid the right amount of $$. If you ever want to sell them, send me an email or PM. I have no idea of their worth, but I love old books and think autographed ones are even better.

Of course, you could always have fun and put them up on ebay. You can list them for a .35 cent listing fee and put them up for Major bucks. They might not sell, but you can always say (to those who ask about them)... you know I saw these same books for sale on ebay for $XXXX.XX.... :w00t: (no need to mention you were the one selling them.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

Thanks...think I may just keep them. I paid $90 for these two books and a first edition WWII unit history of the 91st ID

I think that's a fair price for just the two books alone IF they are Thomason's signature, which I supect they are. You may be able to get some information or verification that it is indeed his signature from the Sam Houston State University at Huntsville TX. They have an extensive Thomason collection.

If you change your mind about keeping them, let me know.

Jon B

Newaygo MI