R.I.A. 1911

M

on inside area:

W.M.

J.H.O.

B.J. or 8.J.

post-2260-1246290516.jpg

post-2260-1246290542.jpg

I have read this is a M1911 pouch but this one was billed as a M1910.

Any one know for sure which is the correct designation?

Thanks,

Pep

The Rock Island Arsenal drawings make a distinction between this and the other M1910 pouches, calling this one an M1911. I've seen them called both but officially it's an M1911.

tim

Every one I have ever seen has been dated 1911. There was an article in the Company of Military Historians magazine written by Carter Rila that gave all the dates of changes to specs etc. I remember Craig posting the link. I'll see if I can find it.

As a side note, I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was the pattern the Marine Corps was given when they set up their depot at Philadelphia in the 1912-1913 time frame to manufacture equipment. The Marines used this pattern right up to WW2.

New Romantic

Nice pouch Pep, and very rare. I used to have one of these but I sold it back in 2007.

The M1911 Pouch reflects the complexity in construction of some of the early M1910 equipment items. By 1913 the transition to items of simpler design was complete and is best illustrated by the M1911 FA Pouch and shovel cover.

From photos I've seen of trial period M1910 equipment in 1910, the first aid pouches appear to have been M1907's.

Thanks again Tim.

I had read that before but forgot about it.

So this pouch was approved 6 Sept 1911 and was "discontinued" @23 Dec 1911 in favor of the updated M1910.

That is only around 108 days. I wonder what the total production was?

Pep

New Romantic
Not very much!! It is quite a rare pouch. In all my years of collecting I've only seen about 10 of them.

Tim

Yes very rare indeed!

This pouch is probably the 4th or 5th I've seen since I bought the one I used to own in 2005.

One was mine which came from AGM; another I saw sold by AGM mis identified as the USMC pouch in 2008; one is yours Tim; I saw one recently somewhere but I can't remember where; and Pep's pouch is #5.

• 9 months later...
Pep, not as nice as yours but looks to marked the same way.

Mach1derful,

Looks very nice. I actually like equipment that has a good used(not abused) look to it.

Markings look to be a match. Now you need to get a tin to put in that thing.

Pep

mach1derful
Mach1derful,

Looks very nice. I actually like equipment that has a good used(not abused) look to it.

Markings look to be a match. Now you need to get a tin to put in that thing.

Pep

I'm working on it, can you help :blink: Got the pouch and a 10 pocket eagle snap cartridge belt for $135 on ebay this weekend.

I'm working on it, can you help :blink: Got the pouch and a 10 pocket eagle snap cartridge belt for $135 on ebay this weekend.

I was watching that and was surprised it didn't go higher. Maybe others didn't notice the pouch was the M1911. I would expect the pouch alone to come close to that. And not to mention, that belt is in very nice shape.

-Matt.

mach1derful
I was watching that and was surprised it didn't go higher. Maybe others didn't notice the pouch was the M1911. I would expect the pouch alone to come close to that. And not to mention, that belt is in very nice shape.

-Matt.

Matt, I think alot of people did what I did and confused it with the later usmc one. I didn't bid much higher than what it went for, I initially was just happy with the belt. Now if I only could go back in time and bid higher on that twist snap m1910 cover from a month ago...