Desert Storm, USMC AAV (LVTP7)

Old Marine

Just to prove that I can pay attention to something other than WWII vintage things I stepped out of my main area of interest and built this USMC Armored Amphibious Vehicle. I built this right after Desert Shield/Storm in 1991. It's been sitting on the shelf since then so please excuse some of the dust that has dulled the model a bit.

This is the Tamiya, 1/35 scale kit and the exterior is pretty much right out of the box. I scratch built and added the entire interior and the figures. Originally this kit comes with NO interior it's designed to be displayed buttoned up. I seem to have a penchant for making things harder than they have to be so I decided to built the interior, it was kind of like building a ship in a bottle. It took a lot longer than I thought, there was a lot of back and forth between the bulkheads and then the figures, then back to the bulkheads and stowage racks then back to adjusting the figures, then trying to fit all that interion in to the hull of the track. It kept me busy and out of trouble.

My memory of these things has always been how cramped, smelly and noisy they were. I tried to convey that squashed in feeling by cramming in as many figures as I could.

Ok, enjoy the photos and I look forward to your comments and observations.

thanks

Dennis

post-2843-1240595130.jpg

The Meatcan

very cool! thumbsup.gif your excellent figure work really does convey the cramped setting inside the vehicle. Once again, top notch work.

Terry

Dennis

Nicely done,! I espeically like the 6 color choco chip camo uniforms. Thank you for sharing it.

Regards,

Mark

your excellent figure work really does convey the cramped setting inside the vehicle. Once again, top notch work.
I agree, and that they actually look like they're talking to each other. Most people put figures into random, disjointed interaction (if you can call it that) with one another. This model conveys a group of people aware of one another. It's a rare modeler that can do this. I'm very impressed!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's killer, Denis!

Just how many guys did you fit in there? I counted 14 (15?). I'm so slow, it'd take me a year to do something similar.

Gotta agree with some of the other comments, too. You didn't just paint 'em all in chocolet chips, you converted everyone of 'em too! (And not just minor conversions, either, you have some major work in some of those guys.) I know how hard that it is when trying to fit figgies into vehicles. Very nice!

Great eye for the human interaction, too. Like willysmb44 said, they all look like they're aware of each other relating.

Thanks for dusting it off and sharing! Got anymore?

USMC 75mm Pack Howitzer

442 Color guard

101 ABN shadow Box

M7 Priest 105mm How

57mm AT gun and Truck

8 inch How

Patton's Command Vehicle

Hi SGM,

Thanks for the nice words. The figures really do take most of the time in these models. It can get pretty tedious going back and forth checking the fit of each figure, but the end result is worth it. It's just a personal opinion but to me the figures make these vehicles come alive. I am not sure how many figures are in that Amphtrack, I'll take a head count tonight for you. That model was probably the most difficult of the bunch. I had to scratch build the interior, benches and stowage racks and then fit all the figures and then once the interior was finished and weathered I had to close up the outer hull around it. It was a lot like building a ship in a bottle.

Above are links to my other models in case you missed them.

Thanks

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
jeremiahcable

Great work Dennis. It reminded me of how much I dislike 'Tracks. I used to sit on a box up by the firewall for the engine compartment so I could handle radios for the Skipper. Thanks for bringing back some memories!