Special Forces, Navy SEAL, CIA grouping

milihfra

MinorInHistory

As someone interested in CIA and Special Forces Militaria (and where it intersects), I'll be certainly watching this auction closely. This is what the obituary says about his service, but whether everything in the grouping is correct might be another matter:

"A graduate of Calvert Hall College High School in Baltimore, Michael received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in psychology from Loyola University in Baltimore and his PhD in psychology from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond VA. He served in the U.S. Army from 1968-1971 in Berlin, Germany as a member of the Army’s Special Forces. In 1971, he married Julia Van Hoorebeke Whitley of Clifton, NJ. Michael returned to the military in 1978, upon completion of his PhD, and became a clinical psychologist with the Navy at Great Lakes Naval Regional Medical Center in Illinois.  He was later stationed in Virginia Beach, VA and eventually selected as the first psychologist for the newly formed Navy Seal Team 6. He served in that capacity until 1984, and then continued to serve in the Naval Reserves. Following retirement from the Navy, as Lieutenant Commander, Michael joined the Foreign Service Corps of the Federal Government and he lived in Egypt, Pakistan, Israel, and South Africa, while travelling extensively around the world, in that position. His last assignment for the Foreign Service Corps was in Tampa. Michael retired in 2006 from the Federal government but then became an independent contractor for several more years."

316th FS 324th FG

The Agency certs/history are all good to go. Interesting grouping.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the pleasure of working with Mike during NSW days and later in the Agency and was a true teammate and friend. Yeah, he is 'Mike the Psych ' in the book. Everything in that group is 100% and really about 10% what he had. Both of us being collectors and hoarders, I helped him move that stuff up and down the easy coast until his retirement. With that all said, it is sad that all of Mike stuff was taken by an auctioneer back when he died and last I heard was ghosting his wife for the $$$$. Another fun fact that there are a couple of items in the group that is actively sought by NCIS ( Back when the USN and Marcinko were spatting over goverment funds being misused). I wonder what happened to the really cool stuff that I did not get!