1967 - 1968 VN made “603 MAC MATES” patch

USMarineCorps

Go to solution Solved by yokota57,

USMarineCorps

Hi all,

I have never seen this patch before, and I’m also not sure what I’m looking at.

A bowling ball shaped like a chicken?

I assume MAC stands for “Maneuver Area Command”, and perhaps MATES refers to “Maneuver and Training Equipment Site” (just a wild guess)?

Any way, hopefully someone here has a positive ID on this one.

Thank you in advance for any clues!

Fred

IMG_1503.jpeg

USMarineCorps

Alternatively it could also be related to the Military Airlift Command (USAF). Maybe an early 603 MASS patch?

Also, the patch is Japanese made, not Vietnamese. My bad!

Fred

So, I'm gonna try to maybe get you closer, but I can't be sure as I hit too many roadblocks. There was a 603rd Military Airlift Support Group or Squadron at Kadena AB, Japan. It "appears" the history goes back into the 60s, but nothing official that I could find before 1974. This would also make sense with the MAC MATES motto, as they would have been the support unit for the airlift coming into Kadena. Japan made also makes total sense. So, close, but just need to find some official dates on the 603d MASG/Squadron.

Randy

USMarineCorps

Randy,

Thank you for the leads! After some digging, the 603rd MASS was activated in 1965 and was subsequently inactived and consolidated with the 603rd MASG. Perhaps it could be an early Squadron instead of Group patch?

Do you recognize the “outline” of the patch by any chance? It seems to be some sort of structure…

Fred

USMarineCorps

For what it’s worth, I found another example on Worthpoint (without ID, unfortunately). Note the 1968 instead of 67 - 68.

Fred

IMG_1508.jpeg

• Solution

With the three bowling "Strike" XXX-marks across the top and the hilarious "Bowling Ball-shaped Chicken", perhaps it is a squadron Bowling Team patch?? Whatever it is it is certainly entertaining! Thanks to USMarineCorps for posting it and for Randy's always insightful input.

Well, what do you call 3 strikes in a row? A Turkey! Looking more like the unit bowling team, most likely the squadron. Yes, could be either group or squadron, that's why I used both above as I wasn't sure. I think this one can be put to rest after everyone's input...

Randy

31 minutes ago, Randy said:

Well, what do you call 3 strikes in a row? A Turkey! Looking more like the unit bowling team, most likely the squadron. Yes, could be either group or squadron, that's why I used both above as I wasn't sure. I think this one can be put to rest after everyone's input...

Randy

I haven't bowled in a million years and I completely forgot the "Turkey"! Great catch Randy. 

• 2 weeks later...