Battle of the Bulge Display - Uniform Suggestions

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

For a Battle of the Bulge mannequin display what would represent the typical soldier's uniform or .....what what you choose? 

Heavy Wool Overcoat, M41 Jacket or M43 Field Jacket?

Shoe Pacs, Double Buckle Boots, or Service shoes and Leggings?

Helmet with or without net?  If netted, late war net with band or Shrimp net?

Wool Trousers or the Cotton Field Trousers?

Thanks everyone!

36thIDAlex

I would pick a specific unit that fought in the Bulge and research photos of their troops during the battle. Pretty much all of the things you said could theoretically be used, but might vary based on the unit. Representing a single unit will likely make your display more authentic and a little bit more meaningful.

A simple answer to your question is that you could find virtually any of those uniform/ clothing combinations. Some units, like the 28th Infantry Division had been through a great deal of combat by the Bulge and would have been wearing wool uniforms, overcoats, leggins and high quarter boots. As these boots were worn out, they were replaced by the two buckle boots. Soldiers of the 106th Infantry Division were new replacements and were issued new cold weather clothing when they went on the line. 

In order for you to do the desired subject matter justice, you will need to choose a specific unit and then check out period photos from the time period.

I once had a WWII veteran tell me that he got issued a pair of shoe packs in March 1945- just in time to no longer need them!

Allan