My small Navy medal collection

Kaigun Shosa

Nice. Agree: that's an especially nice Good Conduct and i like that First Nicaraguan (it looks to have the large ring). You've done well. 

Have you checked if the Nicaraguan is attributable?

Search USMF for this character string:

"File 8565"

Include the quotation marks. Hopefully you do well there too. Check both pages carefully.

Jim T

👍

Great display.   Here's my Navy campaign medals typeset from Civil War through WWII Occupation that I put together about 15 years ago.   With the exception of the China Relief which is a 1930s re-strike I believe by the US Mint (Mint 1/2 wrap brooch) from BB&B dies,  the ones that should be numbered are first strikes.  I have a 1900 China original BB&B but part of a group to RADM Edward Taussig, who claimed Wake Island and Guam for the US, so not for the typeset which are all unattributed except for the Type I  Philippines, which is part of a broken USS Concord Dewey group, and the only one I have of that group.   The Dewey is one of the small number of Paul Till cased restrikes from the late 1960s that he commissioned Tiffany to do on original dies.  The Sampson is a named USS New Orleans.  The DSM and LoM are WW2 era and I put them in since I had room for two other medals and they are my favorite design of the Navy non-campaign medals.   I sewed the suspension rings to the stretcher they are pinned on so no weight is on the drapes which are all pinned to the stretcher and easily removed just like on a uniform.  The plexiglass is  97% UV resistant  conservation grade, and not exposed to direct sun.  The stretcher is 100% English suit wool and last time I checked the reverse of the medals a year ago,  all was good.  I'm pretty sure, absent exposure to moisture that could be problematic, the material is inert and not transferring to the medals.   Unfortunately, it's not glare resistant as you can tell.   I enjoy seeing them every day. 

Navy Campaign Medals typeset.jpg

Very nice Shawn!!

I'm missing both the Sampson and Dewey examples but am happy just to get a numbered 1900 Boxer to complete my display.

Fantastic collection.  Early navy campaign medals are my favorite. I have all of them rim engraved and researched. I’ll keep an eye out for a 1900 Boxer Rebellion medal for you. 

3 hours ago, aerialbridge said:

Great display.   Here's my Navy campaign medals typeset from Civil War through WWII Occupation that I put together about 15 years ago.   With the exception of the China Relief which is a 1930s re-strike I believe by the US Mint (Mint 1/2 wrap brooch) from BB&B dies,  the ones that should be numbered are first strikes.  I have a 1900 China original BB&B but part of a group to RADM Edward Taussig, who claimed Wake Island and Guam for the US, so not for the typeset which are all unattributed except for the Type I  Philippines, which is part of a broken USS Concord Dewey group, and the only one I have of that group.   The Dewey is one of the small number of Paul Till cased restrikes from the late 1960s that he commissioned Tiffany to do on original dies.  The Sampson is a named USS New Orleans.  The DSM and LoM are WW2 era and I put them in since I had room for two other medals and they are my favorite design of the Navy non-campaign medals.   I sewed the suspension rings to the stretcher they are pinned on so no weight is on the drapes which are all pinned to the stretcher and easily removed just like on a uniform.  The plexiglass is  97% UV resistant  conservation grade, and not exposed to direct sun.  The stretcher is 100% English suit wool and last time I checked the reverse of the medals a year ago,  all was good.  I'm pretty sure, absent exposure to moisture that could be problematic, the material is inert and not transferring to the medals.   Unfortunately, it's not glare resistant as you can tell.   I enjoy seeing them every day. 

Navy Campaign Medals typeset.jpg

Shawn I love this display! 

Thanks,  Jim and Clinton. Long time no see,   hope you guys are doing good.     I misspoke,  Taussig's China Relief is an early numbered, more scarce "1901" and the original ribbons for that and his Phil. are both as fragile and partially separated as they come.   The Philippine is missing the brooch.  Taussig wore his medals a lot, as the polish residue and honest wear attest.   Missing from the group is his Civil War #64.   He also qualified for the WWI victory, quite a stretch.   If Taussig had not claimed Wake Island for the US in 1899 under direction of Wm. McKinley, I might have asked Clinton to re-drape them.

More about Taussig for anyone interested.  Pictures of the medals below.

I've got an unidentified BBB  #d 1900 China Relief,  first type ribbon in great shape  that I should probably pin in there but it throws off the equal number of  columns.    I may do it anyway.   Jim, nothing small about your collection, as you deftly pulled out a 6 bar 1888  GCM.     "Now,  THAT'S  a medal".    Clinton,  same goes for your vast collection.  And  I could never compete with your skillful re-draping, but maybe I should offer "non-destructive" medal framing services?   Matter of fact, I have a mounted WWI NC group of 7 with only 2 or 3 still attached (the previous caretaker got it with all attached in decent shape) that I should consult with you about.   With your prodigious skills, that group would look amazing and suitable for display framing.

EDWARD TAUSSIG MEDALS 1.jpg

EDWARD TAUSSIG MEDALS 2.jpg