Post War USMC Dress Blue Jacket Find

Tonomachi

I found this in a clothing bin at a local Goodwill Outlet Store that I had never visited before.  There were pockets so it looked post war but the tan colored arm linings with what looked like a 1942 stencil that I couldn't make out clearly inside of the dimly lit building had me curious.  I bought it for a couple of bucks as they sell things by weight in these outlet stores.  When I got it home I took a closer look and it is actual dated 1947-1948 and named to a C. L. CARTER.  I thought initially that it might have been a hand me down from WW2 where pockets were added to a WW2 jacket.

DSCF4057.JPG

DSCF4062.JPG

DSCF4063.JPG

DSCF4065.JPG

DSCF4066.JPG

DSCF4059.JPG

DSCF4058.JPG

DSCF4060.JPG

DSCF4061.JPG

Keep in mind the crossed rifles weren’t added to chevrons until 1959.  So the Marine was wearing this coat for much of his career. 

22 hours ago, KurtA said:

Keep in mind the crossed rifles weren’t added to chevrons until 1959.  So the Marine was wearing this coat for much of his career. 

Thanks for this information.  I found the following Marine that I thought might be the former owner of this jacket except it says PFC on his headstone and the jacket has Staff Sergeant chevrons sewn on it so it is probably someone else.

Charles L Carter

BIRTH

3 Apr 1923

Ohio, USA

DEATH

1 Jun 1979 (aged 56)

Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, USA

BURIAL

Crown Hill Memorial Park

Pleasant Run, Hamilton County, Ohio, USA  Show Map

PLOT

Veterans Garden

194643748_577be0e0-a073-4334-944e-04bc275b4fe6.jpeg

collectsmedals
1 hour ago, Tonomachi said:

except it says PFC on his headstone and the jacket has Staff Sergeant chevrons

My father's headstone plaque says PVT, but he was a Staff Sgt on active duty. He joined the Army in 1940. He was WIA for the second time on November 26, 1943 near Venafro Italy (first time WIA was in North Africa), and sent back stateside for recovery in the hospital. When the war ended as he was considered "regular army" and not a conscript so he was not discharged when most of the other war veteran's were. He had seen a lot of combat and as he put it "was bored out of my mind" sitting at the base, so he went AWOL and joined the circus (he was the guy who road the motorcycle around inside the steel cage). When the Army caught up with him he was busted down to Private but given an honorable discharge because of his war service (Silver Star, Bronze Star, two Purple Hearts and three combat parachute jumps). So things like that can happen!

5 hours ago, collectsmedals said:

My father's headstone plaque says PVT, but he was a Staff Sgt on active duty. He joined the Army in 1940. He was WIA for the second time on November 26, 1943 near Venafro Italy (first time WIA was in North Africa), and sent back stateside for recovery in the hospital. When the war ended as he was considered "regular army" and not a conscript so he was not discharged when most of the other war veteran's were. He had seen a lot of combat and as he put it "was bored out of my mind" sitting at the base, so he went AWOL and joined the circus (he was the guy who road the motorcycle around inside the steel cage). When the Army caught up with him he was busted down to Private but given an honorable discharge because of his war service (Silver Star, Bronze Star, two Purple Hearts and three combat parachute jumps). So things like that can happen!

Thanks for sharing this so I may have the right Marine after all.

Here is your guy

Name:  Charles Lee Carter

Birth Date:  24 Mar 1928

Death Date:  3 Sep 1988

Cause of Death:  Natural

SSN:  498-24-5580

Enlistment Branch:  M

Enlistment Date:  13 Oct 1947

Discharge Date:  31 May 1968