Presidential Life Saving Medal presented by USA president

benten81

Hello All,

I have a presenndetial life savinf medal in my collection and want to sale it, do you have any idea about the possible price and advice me a place to sell it  ?  Details are as below

Gold Presidential Life Saving Medal presented by USA president

Breast Badge, in GOLD, 39.48 g, engraved "to Arnold Bolm, Seaman on the German steamship "General Osorio", in recognition of his heroic services in effecting the rescue at sea, on August 8, 1931, of the passengers and crew of the American steamship Western World.", original suspension clasp, in case of issue with gilt American weapon on the lid.

A 1903 Gold Presidential Life Saving Medal - Stuck by the US Mint, signed M, for Morgan (the designer of the USA Morgan silver dollar) , 1122 gold medals awarded from 1880-1939,  

Original Case

Thanks  

1.JPG

2.JPG

So, the medal is GOLD, with a weight of 39.48 grams. Assuming that the gold content is 18 karat, the melt price will be $1,680. if it were made of pure gold, melt would be $2,173. The US dollar and the Euro are almost EXACTLY the same value currently, so the quote in dollars vs Euro is the same.

We know that the starting price of $4,400 Euro at La Galerie Numismatique was not met, so we know that the value is somewhere between $1,680 and $4,400. There were over 1,100 awards of this medal, so I would say that the rarity level is "scarce." It has a double following between US medal collectors and numismatists. Based on values of similar pieces with a dual interest, I would suppose that the true value is somewhere between $2,000 and $2,500 for the medal if it is 18k. The value would be somewhere in the $2,500 to $3,000 range if pure.

My two cents.

Allan