An hour into the listing and already over $500.00

6th.MG.BN

I don't have the eye or knowledge to discern good paint from bad paint. With that in mind, it looks okay to me. These days, an Inland liner in that shape goes for about $500 on its own. 

40 minutes ago, elh1311 said:

I don't have the eye or knowledge to discern good paint from bad paint. With that in mind, it looks okay to me. These days, an Inland liner in that shape goes for about $500 on its own. 

Could you please point me to where loose Inland liners are selling for $500 - I’d sell mine at that point.  Gee whiz, I wasn’t aware of that.

1 hour ago, Blacksmith said:

Could you please point me to where loose Inland liners are selling for $500 - I’d sell mine at that point.  Gee whiz, I wasn’t aware of that.

You should see what they're going for on places like the US Militaria "Make Offer" page on Facebook. An Inland in good shape with leather chinstrap could easily fetch $500. I've seen plain Jane M1C helmets with unmarked Westinghouse liners go for over $2,000 on that page. 

48 minutes ago, Bugme said:

$500 for an Inland liner? All mine are now for sale.

Go to the "Make Offer" page on Facebook. Now, I'm not saying that it's 100% for every Inland but could you pull $500 with selling it on that page? I give you better than 50/50.

Humped up shell with a 1948 dated post-war Inland liner. Good straps. Typical cracking in the rear found on FB Schlueter shells. Ebay bidders can drive something common through the roof, pay out the wazoo for fakes, and ignore real rarities. 

Keep an eye on all those authentic early Inland liners that sell for oddly high prices. 

They might show up later in a paratrooper configuration nested in a questionable M2 shell.  

danielrosenwinkel
1 hour ago, snake36bravo said:

Humped up shell with a 1948 dated post-war Inland liner. Good straps. Typical cracking in the rear found on FB Schlueter shells. Ebay bidders can drive something common through the roof, pay out the wazoo for fakes, and ignore real rarities. 

The 48 under the Inland mark is just a mold number, not a date. No WWII liners are marked with a date, mold numbers are rather meaningless. Dating liners is done by looking at the features. The unpainted steel washers on this one indicate mid ‘42-‘43 production. Additionally, Inland quit making liners in ‘43 to focus on other contributions to the war effort.

FT.Monmouth1943

What make you think the inland liner is from 1948? Because it’s definitely a nice early war liner. Pretty sure the numbers are just mold numbers (could be wrong in that) but it certainly doesn't correlate with a date of manufacture. IMO the paint on the shell looks good, so it’s not surprising that an early war setup with Navy camo will command a high price.

2 hours ago, snake36bravo said:

Ok, I know it's a free world and I guess you can post whatever you like, but this has to be said.  How do you offer up a comment on the authenticity/correctness of an M1 helmet/liner if you don't even know that that #48 is not a date, and that all the other components are correct for mid-war production?????  Sorry for sounding harsh but that's not just a "Senior moment". 

47 minutes ago, M1A1-1944 said:

Ok, I know it's a free world and I guess you can post whatever you like, but this has to be said.  How do you offer up a comment on the authenticity/correctness of an M1 helmet/liner if you don't even know that that #48 is not a date, and that all the other components are correct for mid-war production?????  Sorry for sounding harsh but that's not just a "Senior moment". 

Okay, I know it's a free world and I guess you have the right to go Mr. Five Question Marks on me but do you really want a run down on my in-service head injuries including a TBI or how about my TIA 6 years ago?  You want my day to day too while we are at it? There are times when people tell me something happened, that I was there for, and I have zero memory of it.

For whatever reason my gray matter decided, I read the stamping as the date like I used to when I first started collecting helmets. That is what popped into my head and I agreed that was not correct in my next post. 

Sorry for sounding harsh, you know like you and maybe it's the Infantryman or the paratrooper in me, but I don't respond well to people who feel a need to call out other people rather than just move the F on.

Okay, I know it's a free world and I guess you have the right to go Mr. Five Question Marks on me but do you really want a run down on my in-service head injuries including a TBI or how about my TIA 6 years ago?  You want my day to day too while we are at it? There are times when people tell me something happened, that I was there for, and I have zero memory of it.

For whatever reason my gray matter decided, I read the stamping as the date like I used to when I first started collecting helmets. That is what popped into my head and I agreed that was not correct in my next post. 

Sorry for sounding harsh, you know like you and maybe it's the Infantryman or the paratrooper in me, but I don't respond well to people who feel a need to call out other people rather than just move the F on.

Good Sir, I have to say.  I’ve had a long tiring day, and your “Mr. Five Question Marks” got an eyes closed gut-laugh.  Bless you for that.

M1A1, no offense, it just caught me funny. 

Woooo, good ol’ forum.  I don’t know what I would do without you all…