Identifying a Massachusetts Militia Chapeau

I bought this chapeau several years ago from a dealer who listed it as a belonging to a Massachusetts Adjutant General, based upon its white plume and the fact the 1840 Massachusetts Militia Laws indicate Adjutant Generals should wear a chapeau with a white plume. He sent some dark photocopies of the cover of the 1840 Laws, along with copies of the uniform descriptions in the book, with the chapeau as his proof. I already knew it wasn't a general's chapeau,  as I also have the 1840 Mass. Militia Laws, and any general's chapeau should have a spread wing eagle insignia. But I bought it anyways since I collect Massachusetts Militia items, and didn't have this insignia or a chapeau in my collection. Once it arrived, the detective work began. Maker label in crown of hat is for S. & A.H. Rhoades of Boston. Bazelon & McGuinn's "Directory of American Military Goods Dealers & Makers 1785-1915"  show Stephan & Asa H. Rhodes (Rhoades) as owning a hat store from 1826-49 when sold to Bent & Bush. Book also states the firm supplied chapeaux to the Boston Independent Corps of Cadets in 1842. Having a pamphlet on the history of the Independent Corps of Cadets, I see they wore chapeaus with white plumes from 1832 to 1844. So a good possibility so far, but not definitive. It was some weeks later when putting away the photocopies he sent that I noticed some hard-to-read writing on the photocopy of the cover of the Militia Laws Digest,  "Independent Corps of Cadets". Looking more carefully at the uniform pages he included, when discussing the hats for light infantry, someone had inserted the handwritten word "crest" in description for insignia on hats. The crest of the Massachusetts state seal would be the arm holding a sword that is found above the Indian's head. Confident now that I had identified the chapeau, I sent an email to the curator of the Independent Corps of Cadets museum in Boston for confirmation. Apparently they don't have this early example in their collection, as she was only aware of the chapeau with red plume the Cadets wore from the late 1840's through Civil War. After I asked her to review the history of the uniform changes, she did reply that I was correct, and she also believes this to be an early chapeau of the Independent Corps of Cadets.  Sorry if I bored you with a long story, but I find the step by step investigation and identification of items fascinating and exciting, especially when you meet with success. It can also be frustrating when you don't. 

20220826_200651.jpg

20220826_200752.jpg

20220826_200818.jpg

20220826_200846.jpg

20220826_200651.jpg

Great sleuthing and a beautiful chapeau. My research is fun but since I miss way more than I hit the hits are that much more enjoyable,

Now that I've studied them a bit more, I know another good clue is the chinstrap, unusual for a chapeau. So far I've only seen them on Independent Corps of Cadets chapeaux. Here are a couple images of the 1850's uniform, and an identified circa 1861 CDV from my collection. 

Screenshot_20220825-200059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220825-200331_Samsung Internet.jpg

20220827_081423.jpg