C-47 Pilot Seat

Scarecrow

Shown is a C-47 pilot's seat (right side swing arm).  This was cannibalized from a wreck in the Dominican Republic in the early 90's.  I purchased it directly from the gentleman that acquired it.  Also attached is a photo of the aircraft's Data Plate.  He gave me a photo of it but kept the original plate. Since it had some corrosion he sandblasted it, repaired a hole with a patch as seen on the middle right hand side of the seat back, and painted it with a green OD of sorts primer.  I have done nothing to it since I acquired it.   Here is what research has found.

DC-3/C-47 rolled off the assembly line at Douglas on 11/23/40 (per data plate).  It was purchased by Northwest Ailrlines in 1940 and registered as NC25623. It was transferred to Pan American Africa Division in July 1941  It was subsequently impressed into wartime service by the USAAF in October 1941 and re-designated C-48C 42-38258.  In March 1942 it was transferred to the RAF under the Lend Lease program and flew with 267 Squadron.  In 1943 it was transferred to United Airways still impressed with the USAAF.  In November 1944 it finally became the property of United Airways.  United resold it in 1949, the rest of it's history is lost at that point.  

IMG_0636.jpg.cc519a97f836e47195556f97ae028be5.jpgIMG_0637.jpg.957d4493ce32bc1506568fbeaccab4bd.jpg

That is a cool seat. It's not often you have the history with it. The lap belt is the post war zig zag stitch. For a WW2 era display I would look for the correct lap belt and box up the lap belt that it came with.

phantomfixer

Thats a great seat with tons of history...its cool you could trace your seats journey...

get yourself a seat cushion, plug in Island in the Sky and kick back and enjoy... 

every war room needs an aircraft seat...

I pulled one from a DC3 in Haiti, back in 94....pushed off the ramp....brought it home on a C5....the field was littered with props and hubs..kick myself for not grabbing a few..

anyway great seat

16 hours ago, Big Bear said:

That is a cool seat. It's not often you have the history with it. The lap belt is the post war zig zag stitch. For a WW2 era display I would look for the correct lap belt and box up the lap belt that it came with.

Thanks Big Bear, especially for the info on the lap belt.  I will be on he lookout for a WWII period one.

3 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Thanks Big Bear, especially for the info on the lap belt.  I will be on he lookout for a WWII period one.

Check to see if your seat had the inertia reel added to it for the shoulder harness set up.