3 panel medic … to peel back a layer or leave it

dskjl

Recent gun show find, looks like a 3 panel medic FB.  I typically leave what i find as i found it but in this case I'm contemplating carefully peeling back a layer.

Thoughts?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

dhcoleterracina

It's a personal choice, lots of opinions on both sides. As for me, I'd be gently removing the newer paint. 

Most of the dark spots are remaining overpaint I’m not comfortable digging deeper into.   Some are raw metal from chips etc….

Removal started with goof off with virtually no effect, so I moved on to a paint stripper gel Qtips, paper towels and water and went very slowly on small 1 inch sections at a time.

i have read mixed reports on painting them out and seen a video on the forum of repainting a a variety of helmets.

Here the strap and the heat stamp is 44B followed by a 3 off center and to the far right, not seen this before.

strap.jpg

Nice helmet. Turned out ok. 

I have an over paint. Has the square panels. You can see them under the paint. I have never wanted to remove it. I like it the way it is.

14 hours ago, gap said:

Looks good, why not take the same approach with the other panels?  

Keeping panel overpainted to show it as I found it, the other panel can always be cleaned up but I like the idea of showing the varied condition or life cycle of the helmet.

be safe

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 3:50 PM, dskjl said:

i have read mixed reports on painting them out and seen a video on the forum of repainting a a variety of helmets.

Here the strap and the heat stamp is 44B followed by a 3 off center and to the far right, not seen this before.

strap.jpg

All McCord shells before lot 52 has an additional number, spaced, after the lift letter, like yours “44B 3”. Lot 44 would have been made roughly early December 1941. Would love to see more images of the shell, lot stamp, loops, both of them, rim seam and overall of the inside.

2 hours ago, twthmoses said:

All McCord shells before lot 52 has an additional number, spaced, after the lift letter, like yours “44B 3”. Lot 44 would have been made roughly early December 1941. Would love to see more images of the shell, lot stamp, loops, both of them, rim seam and overall of the inside.

image.png.88acb5358d765d61440721cb910e648b.png