Fake Uniforms with EGAs 1920s???

patches

Found this still from the 1926 movie Tell It To The Marines, gives a view of the Dress Blues of the period with their EGAs, not seeing any piping so a wardrobe made coat, the cap looks alright I guess.

tell-it-to-the-marines-1926.jpg

2 minutes ago, themick said:

I think the piping is there, but doesn't come out in this old black and white film.  

Steve

You maybe right, Here's another of Lon Chaney, this one we catch some piping, but in the next one it's again hard to see. 

tell.PNG

tell-it-to-the-marines.jpg

• 4 months later...

This question is currently giving me fits, as I've recently completed a sculpture of Lon Chaney as Sgt. O'Hara, and none of the reference from the movie shows piping on his uniform. The image above which depicts piping on Chaney is heavily retouched, and those details appear to have been added (a professional photo retoucher by trade). If you take a color image with the piping and make it black and white, the red piping pops off the image very clearly (see attachment). The uniform Chaney's wearing has no pockets, is it possible the USMC had such a jacket for a Sergeant in 1926? Current era USMC Officer's dress blues images seen online appear to have no piping. I've provided "stitching seams" in the areas where the piping would go, if it is indeed supposed to be there. This message board has been a tremendous help in trying to determine what ribbons he's actually wearing in the film, now I'm hoping to find out what the uniform is supposed to look like when I begin to add color to the model kits paint model. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

_DSC7496 01_1600.jpg

BW_piping.jpg

marines-dress-blues-officer-crop2.jpeg