WWII Boxed Merchant Marine Mariner's Medal Find

AustinO

This was a quick BIN right before the SoS, and a welcome find in my mailbox when I got back from the show.  Unfortunately, the seller was selling on consignment and was not willing to share the family name with me.  I've spent the past few weeks watching obituaries in Springfield Mass, hoping one would pop up - as apparently this was awarded to a Mariner who recently passed away there, but so far nothing promising.  

The medal itself is a textbook WWII example, complete with its blue box as well as the white outer box. I don't think I've seen one of these boxes posted on the forum, so sharing here as an example.  It's very similar to white boxes found with Purple Hearts. 

IMG_20220301_155751_837.jpg.47b6c5f681999b19840fe58d5795cc91.jpg

Austin, 

That is a really great medal. Did the campaign medals come with it? If they did, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't also serve in the navy.

Allan

6 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

Austin, 

That is a really great medal. Did the campaign medals come with it? If they did, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't also serve in the navy.

Allan

They did come with it, but I think are early 1960s or 70s crimp brooch so could have been acquired by the veteran later. 

dhcoleterracina

Great medal. I've had sellers promise information and then nothing. It's frustrating. I would keep watching his items in case he sells something else related. 

1 hour ago, AustinO said:

They did come with it, but I think are early 1960s or 70s crimp brooch so could have been acquired by the veteran later. 

They are 1940’s issue. (Can tell by the finish of the planchets.) Crimp brooch is proper for the original issue WW2 campaign medals.  

• 2 weeks later...

The ETO medal is a US Navy contract medal too. You can tell by the matte gold finish.

Kurt