WWI Wristwatch Identified to soldier KIA

gumbytoddnet

Here is a wristwatch I picked up last year. The homemade wood and plex glass lid is how it came. I bought it on the spot! Later got it home and took the watch out of the box that's when I found the name on the back of the strap! I feel pretty strong that this was sent home to the family! The scratched out label says this watch was worn by him when he was killed in action. It still winds and sometimes will run for awhile. Thought I would share this! Thanks!  

20220203_234427.jpg

20211001_162030.jpg

20210930_181322.jpg

20211001_162148.jpg

20220203_234121.jpg

20220203_234134.jpg

Very nice watch! Did the ephemera come with it? It looks like there are two watches, one framed with the paperwork. Prior to solders wearing wristwatches in WW I, a man wearing a wristwatch very uncommon and was considered unmanly.   

Thanks for posting it.

BKW

It's the same watch. Just taken off the strap to show the wear. It say's "This watch was worn by John J Oak when he was killed in action on a battlefield in France near Verdunn' and Verdun is typed wrong.  But it's faint. And everything you see came with it. The wood box makes me think it was on display somewhere? Thanks for your questions! 

Steve Brannan

Very nice WW1 item identified to an American hero. It preserves the memory of this hero for the next generation. That’s one of my main reasons for collecting. 

• 1 year later...
gumbytoddnet

I am going to add to this John was in the 90th Div. 357th reg. Co. I.  I found a picture of him through the State of Iowa Archives when he was age 12. 

Also to clarify on Brian's post about two watches. In the framed picture is a photo copy of the watch. To be able to view the name on the back of the strap scratched into the leather.

I see someone added my photos to his find a grave site. I know this is old but wanted to update what I have found. :) 

Remarkable watch -- great that you were able purchase and preserve it.  The box is a wonderful piece in its own right.  I would agree with you that the watch was probably returned to his family after his death.  I suspect there is quite a story about how that happened but it is probably lost to history.  From what I have read and seen, chaplains frequently collected, inventoried and accounted for personal effects for sending to the family.  As alluded to in post #3 above, wrist watches were not a common thing especially among the infantry and were certainly not cheap.  So, I could also imagine one of his friends retrieving his watch and making sure his family got it.

Thanks for sharing it.

Dennis