Massachusetts State Guard Veterans Association

mrgsmvm

Hi Dom;

For the 102nd F. A. Unit history, WW II, have you tried the Massachusetts Military Archives at Columbia Point, Boston. Very interested in historical info especially Massachusetts State Guard and Massachusetts Naval Brigade/Militia. I hope to put on more Photos this afternoon.

Sincerely

John

PS: Do you live close to Massachusetts or our town?

Based upon Scale's service number he was a pre war National Guardsman - However after the National Guard was federalized in 1940 a lot of units were broken up and the Guardsmen sent all over the Army - Scales appears to have been discharged in 1945 but reentered the Army in 1947 serving until 1968 - He appears to have been severely wounded in Korea in 1950 while serving with the 24th Division. He was originally from Beverley Massachusetts.

I have the 1939 Massachusetts Guard Pictorial History and I will check it later today

Bill

Dom

I could not find Scale in the 1939 History but I did see your writeup in Ancestry and it links like you found everything there is to find on Scale!!

Bill

Hey THANKS Bill, I really appreciate that !! I always try to go the extra mile when documenting one of my Groups. I'm up to 10 Tree pages on my Ancestry site, & almost every Tree is based upon one of my Medal, & or Militaria Groups. ( Except for perhaps 2 or 3 at the most are Family related. )  I actually enjoy digging into the reference data, & as you're also probably aware, many times you can really get lucky with what you turn up. I've been searching around to determine if the 102nd F.A. actually published their Unit History after the War, but I'm not coming across one, so I'm beginning to fear that perhaps they didn't ? When I initially found Scale's 'Bring Back', I, nor the Seller didn't even realize his Capture Papers were even there ! I came across them when I tried to determine why the Pistol wasn't fully seating inside the Holster ? Why, because someone, either Scale, or someone else must have stuffed them into the Holster's bottom !! Of course I was elated to come across them, but really wished that they hadn't been literally jammed & crumpled into the bottom !! But, at least I gained a mate to my other Massachusetts 'Bring Back', to yet another WW2 F.A. Veteran with Battery B, 733rd F.A. THANKS AGAIN Bill !

Dom

Ooops, Sorry John I missed your Post ! Yes, I'm just south of you down in Little Rhody. I may have other items or Groups to MSG / MNG Members, so I'll see what I can turn up for you. I know I have numerous Mass. Groups, both Civil War USN, SAW-1898, WW1 & WW2. Area years ago I promised myself I would only collect RI stuff, as that was of course my real love, so to speak. 

Dom

Hi Dom;

Maybe we could get together and chew the fat. Its always a treat to meet a fellow collector. Met a guy several years ago that lives in my neighbor hood that's a collector, mostly all patches. We get together once in a while to chat.

I also started collecting everything then realized that focusing on a particular subject was the best idea. Sorry I didn't start focusing earlier in life.

Attached are: three variations of the "Massachusetts Long Service medal": 2 miniatures and standard size. "Massachusetts National Guard Medal Of Valor": I have two variations of this medal. Both are within my collections.

Sincerely

John

100_4800 (2).jpg

100_0309.jpg

Very nice John !! Hopefully, you been fortunate enough to have picked up the 3 volume set of Massachusetts Marksmanship & other related Medals by William Russo ? I was was in contact with him a few years back, & managed to buy the whole Series, which has proved extremely helpful when collecting, & differentiating between all the various & assorted Medals & Awards. If you're interested in a set, I'll forward you all the relevant data so you could try to locate a copy of them ? I'm on the run right now, but will try to touch base with you later on, take care my Friend !

Best,       Dom  /   [email protected]

Hi Dom;

Here are the publications that I have previously produced. I'm not sure why the quality isn't that good as the page was scanned but it will give you a good idea of what I have researched and made available to the general public. Talk to you soon

John

img161 (2).jpg

Hey John, I think I got a bit messed up on my authors !! IIRC, those MVM Monographs appear to the very same ones I was speaking about ? I thought William 'Bill' Russo had authored them, however it now appears that I was incorrect ? Ummmm, sorry !! I thought I had only 3 Parts, although I could indeed be wrong again. I'll take a look & see just what I do have, & will report back. THANK YOU My Friend !!

Best,     Dom

Hi Dom;

The e-mail you gave in your last message didn't wok for me. I sent two e-mails to you and they both came back as undeliverable. Send me an e-mail that way I can copy your e-mail address from that. My e-mail is located in my profile.

Sincerely

John

1 hour ago, USMCR79 said:

Heading a little off topic but this is one of my better Massachusetts LSM Groups to General Richard K Hale.

Richard K Hale 1.JPG

Richard K Hale 2.JPG

Richard K Hale.jpg

Thats a great group and with an actual period photo of him. Does the Long Service medal have a serial number? It would be on the rear of the top pinback bar.

Sincerely

John

1 hour ago, mrgsmvm said:

Thats a great group and with an actual period photo of him. Does the Long Service medal have a serial number? It would be on the rear of the top pinback bar.

Sincerely

John

It does trace out Hale - when I got the group it was the first medal I was able to attribute 

Bill

Hello;

The reason I ask is that I didn't find him listed in the Long Service Listing I have. I suspect my listing is incomplete. Did you get a copy of his Long Service index card and background info from the Archives in Boston? If not I can do that for you and e-mail it to you; just let me know.

Sincerely

John

I received the information from George Reynolds years ago and his service card from Dana also years ago

Number 2265

Bill

Thats good! I know George very well and we are periodically in contact. Just wanted to make sure you had documentation. I visited the Massachusetts National Guard Museum last Thursday and they are just getting things going now. Not open for regular visits as yet. I was there and was able to give some insight on a few items and to gather information.

Question: Do you know a Tom McDougal? He lives in your neck of the woods.

Sincerely

John

On 3/30/2022 at 3:35 PM, mrgsmvm said:

Thats good! I know George very well and we are periodically in contact. Just wanted to make sure you had documentation. I visited the Massachusetts National Guard Museum last Thursday and they are just getting things going now. Not open for regular visits as yet. I was there and was able to give some insight on a few items and to gather information.

Question: Do you know a Tom McDougal? He lives in your neck of the woods.

Sincerely

John

Known Tom for years thru Jeff Floyd - saw him at SOS last year - he lives near Memphis

Hi;

I am on facebook but just signed into instagram to hopefully talk to you there also. 

Tom lives in: Piperton, TN, moved there last year. He mentioned to me that he was going to attend a military Show some place close by his area next week but didn't mention the Name or town. When I spoke to him this past week I mentioned you but couldn't give him a name as I don't know it. I've known Tom for many years, really nice guy.

I'm right in the middle of inventorying my collection. What a job this is!

Talk soon.

Sincerely

John

I'm not such a good photographer either so don't feel bad about the shot. Excellent Grouping!! Looks like Mexican Border thru WW II? How did you acquire it? I will add a photo or two from my collection once I have completed my inventory.

Sincerely

John