Help Please with ID of patch tab O.O.D.

manayunkman

Go to solution Solved by tredhed2,

• Solution

I think u have an incomplete part of a set......I picked mine up years. maybe decades ago.

US Army Japan Honor Guard and Officer of the Day tabs.   

US Army Japan HG OOD combo.jpg

Officer of the Day? If they use the "o" from of why not use the "t" from the? Unless the whole thing was sewn to an arm band it seem a rather lot of work to sew a tab to your uniform for one day and them remove it. Officer of the Day is a duty that rotates amount junior officers and as the name implies last only a day. If it was on an arm band it would be hard to tell what the person was with just the tiny letters at the bottom, they usually wear an arm band with OD in large letters. Officer of the Day just dose't make sense to me.

manayunkman
7 hours ago, QED4 said:

Officer of the Day? If they use the "o" from of why not use the "t" from the? Unless the whole thing was sewn to an arm band it seem a rather lot of work to sew a tab to your uniform for one day and them remove it. Officer of the Day is a duty that rotates amount junior officers and as the name implies last only a day. If it was on an arm band it would be hard to tell what the person was with just the tiny letters at the bottom, they usually wear an arm band with OD in large letters. Officer of the Day just dose't make sense to me.

Very interesting points you make.

Do you agree that it goes with Honor Guard scroll?

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Very interesting points you make.

Do you agree that it goes with Honor Guard scroll?

I don't know, I have seen the Honor Guard tab but not the OOD tab, they do look like they could go together. The only thing is that if they go together you would think they would have been made at the same time and the same blue threat used but the color difference may be just a trick of the light in the photo. I can defiantly see the whole thing being used by the Honor Guard at Oppama Ordnance Depot but until some one comes up with a picture or some other proof it is still up in the air.

manayunkman
2 hours ago, yokota57 said:

Check out: "Oppama Ordnance Depot" located in Kanegawa.

I think that would be OOBD.

Looks like the dealer who sold the patch and tabs to me in the 70s gave bad info.

I contacted an HG expert and this is what he told me:

"Oppama Ordinance Depot. The Oppama Ordinance Depot was in operation during the Occupation of Japan and the Korean War. It was located between Yokohama and Yokosuka. Both of these cities are situated close by Camp Zama - which is where the US Army Japan was - and still is - headquartered. The details of the tabs (the way that they were made) are consistent with the time period".

manayunkman
On 7/31/2021 at 9:46 PM, tredhed2 said:

Looks like the dealer who sold the patch and tabs to me in the 70s gave bad info.

I contacted an HG expert and this is what he told me:

"Oppama Ordinance Depot. The Oppama Ordinance Depot was in operation during the Occupation of Japan and the Korean War. It was located between Yokohama and Yokosuka. Both of these cities are situated close by Camp Zama - which is where the US Army Japan was - and still is - headquartered. The details of the tabs (the way that they were made) are consistent with the time period".

Thank you for the confirmation.