US pilot helmet to identify...

Squale69

Hello,

Could you please help me to identify this dual visor US pilot helmet that I would consider to be a SPH-3 model ?

No label on it to confirm...

What era would it be ?

USAAF ? US Navy ?

Thanks, P.A

A2F514E6-F252-4344-80F3-13DFECB35981.jpeg

5C2D54D5-3D56-46D7-8D76-A6046757E90F.jpeg

34E9E595-86FE-4264-A578-E30AE6C1C8E8.jpeg

7DB68629-F14B-4FD9-BD80-3B7782F41D0E.jpeg

29755F77-5C1F-4D91-850B-E83199B75CD7.jpeg

5034A006-5B52-4629-93EE-89E475EB3558.jpeg

mohawkALSE

Looks like a nice earlier SPH-3.  Has the leather tabbed ear cup retention harness.  Wonder what type of ICS cord/headset cable it had.

I concur, SPH-3B with Ramshorn dual-visor, most likely the initial version (single snap chinstrap, leather tabs on the earcups' harness assembly), although the black ear seals look like a retrofitted element (for they were mostly grey on this first version). You can't be mistaken with the reflective tape job paired with the velcro tab glued on one side (mostly right) of the visor housing : it's a naval flight helmet.

The microphone boom assembly is interesting and peculiar, for SPH-3 (just like SPH-4) were most commonly fitted with the M-87 /AIC (sage green in that case).

Still it looks relevant and legit for a naval helicopter helmet, since the M-95B/UR microphone was used in the 60/70's with fixed wing USN / USMC aircraft (I actually have one fitted on a boom on an APH-6C, and many examples can be found on the web), and the fact it's been coupled with an amplifier obviously reminds the helicopter use.

I'd say USN or USMC used during the early (perhaps mid) 70's (before the SPH-3B retrofit with Nomex earcups' harness assembly + dual-snap tabs and chinstrap).
The partial tape job confirms this guess (as for the late 70's / early 80's, reflective tape job regulations changed on flight helmets and consequently became almost integral).

It's a fine helmet, with a simple and colorful tape job, and especially this uncommon boom micorphone configuration.

Nice catch !

mohawkALSE
3 hours ago, Vark_07 said:

The microphone boom assembly is interesting and peculiar, for SPH-3 (just like SPH-4) were most commonly fitted with the M-87 /AIC (sage green in that case).

Still it looks relevant and legit for a naval helicopter helmet, since the M-95B/UR microphone was used in the 60/70's with fixed wing USN / USMC aircraft (I actually have one fitted on a boom on an APH-6C, and many examples can be found on the web), and the fact it's been coupled with an amplifier obviously reminds the helicopter use.

Ive seen those style mics with the older helmets alot, the later helmets seemed to get the M-87 down the road.   First Ive seen the the Carter inline mic amp like that but is def of the era.  They were big for helmet cable assemblies and the like from the mid 70s to late 80s.