101st Abn Div Patches - some questions

Albert

Dear All,

I am seriously considering colleting 101st Abn Division patches.  Here are two of the few that I have now.  I would like to verify the type of the left one please.  The right one is easy but what puzzles me is that it shows what looks like glue on the front, and on the twill on the reverse.  Has anyone else observed this on this type patch?  Any idea what it could be and how one could clean in.  I tried rubbing alcohol but that did not due anything.  Could it be glue from the manufacturing process, the glue that is sometimes seen on the base cloth around the edges.  Plus, I have this relatively early patch that has the whole back covered in glue.  However, the old glue is brittle and makes a crinkly sound when the patch is slightly bent; this does not seem to be the case with the 101st patch.

Thank You!

2 101st Patches obv.jpg

2 101st Patches rev.jpg

1111.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Try soaking in warm water, don't use any chemicals. Try and soften the glue. Other that I'm not sure. To bad to that's a desirable patch.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

Why?, I've cleaned patches before and it worked pretty well.

The trick is to use COLD water to remove water soluble glue. The cold water will loosen the bond and allow it to be removed more easily. HOT water will loosen the glue up, but will help to activate the bond. When the glue is in a more liquid state, it has a tendency to melt more into the fabric which makes it even harder to remove as it flows under fibers while in the more liquid state.

Hope this helps.

Allan

To answer the 101st patch questions- the one on the left appears to be a Type 10, and I would say that it is post-WWII manufacture. The one on the right with the blue twill is a Type 4 and is a pretty desirable piece. The glue on the front hurts it. I would suggest soaking it in cold water and seeing if you might get the glue to soften and to come off.

Allan

I second the cold water treatment. I had a whole patch album of over 400 patches glued to the old black paper and put in an album. Sometimes a second, longer soak was required, but all came out completely free of glue and residue. On stubborn patches, I used a soft tooth brush to gently scrub off the residue. Always use cold water. Dave

BILL THE PATCH

When it softens up I try and roll the glue into a little balls,, off and away from the threads, seems to work for me. I'll try the cold water to, but the warm softens it faster.

Thanks everybody!  I tried cold water and it did not do anything at all.  Will leave it as is for now.