For the Kid in You

BryanJ

How many of you got your start in all things military with GI Joe?  I believe the first figures hit the market somewhere around 1965, which is the date on this thermos.  My first Joe was the sailor purchased in 1965.  It’s ironic, if I still had that first generation Joe in the original box, it would probably be worth more than any firearm I own.  Think about 1965, WWII vets were in their mid-40’s, Vietnam was just starting to expand, patriotism was at its height, at least at anytime during my lifetime.  My son collected the smaller Joes, and I bought him the “Classic” figures in the photos below in the 90’s and they have never been out of the box.  He’s long since married, living in D.C. and he left these here at home, where they have been stored since he left.  What are your Joe stories?

A0788BBB-0676-4795-9A78-50F3D2CEE160.jpeg

I'm old enough to remember the original GI Joe.  Had one, played with it hard.  Who knows when they are 12 years that their GI Joe would someday be worth money.  Had a GI Joe, lunch box with thermos even the footlocker.  Long gone now,  Thanks for the posting and the memories.

manayunkman

I had a GI Joe lunchbox too.

A Rat Patrol Jeep and a bunch of figures.

I sold it all at a yard sale for $12 and bought a German helmet the next day for $10.

General Apathy
On 3/21/2021 at 11:12 PM, BryanJ said:

How many of you got your start in all things military with GI Joe?  I believe the first figures hit the market somewhere around 1965, which is the date on this thermos.  My first Joe was the sailor purchased in 1965.  It’s ironic, if I still had that first generation Joe in the original box, it would probably be worth more than any firearm I own.  Think about 1965, WWII vets were in their mid-40’s, Vietnam was just starting to expand, patriotism was at its height, at least at anytime during my lifetime.  My son collected the smaller Joes, and I bought him the “Classic” figures in the photos below in the 90’s and they have never been out of the box.  He’s long since married, living in D.C. and he left these here at home, where they have been stored since he left.  What are your Joe stories?

A0788BBB-0676-4795-9A78-50F3D2CEE160.jpeg

Hi BryanJ,

thanks for sharing these images with us and memories of your sons enjoyment with the Joes . . . . . . and your memories also. 

Not trying to hijack the thread,  from the age of five my weekly treat from my father was walking to the newsagents store Saturday mornings and my father would let me choose a model car to take home.  Jump forward to leaving home around twenty and my parents were quite happy to retain the glass fronted cabinet full of these model cars. Jump forward again to 2003 and the second of my parents passed away, my sister-in-law got to the house ahead of my brother, sister and myself, by the time I got there she had binned around a hundred of these model cars along with all the memories of father and my youth . . . . . . 

just wanted to pass along a salutary warning of what can happen if like me you have a sister-in-law who didn't place a value on anything.

.fullsizeoutput_9c7c.jpeg.8e402da455d9411101a7fc709c52d2a9.jpeg

regards lewis. 

It hurts to hear that story, for a lot of reasons.  To deviate further from the original subject, I miss so much from the 60’s and early 70’s.  Music was great, life was so much simpler, all my family was still intact, The Bee Gees hadn’t yet to destroy early 70’s music (I blame The Bee Gees for degradation of Western Civilization).  Progress?

I loved GI Joes as a kid and had a bunch of them. My first one was also the Sailor. My all time favorite though was the German GI Joe. I traded with another kid in the neighborhood, and it was my prized possession. My Mom even sewed a tiny overcoat for him :). It is the only toy from my childhood that I've been tempted to buy again as an adult. In the 70s GI Joe grew a beard and "life like hair". He also stopped being a military man and became an adventurer. I had a bunch of these too, but it wasn't quite the same. In hindsight, I'm sure this shift took place in response to the Vietnam war and negativity toward the military. 

4 hours ago, Kadet said:

I loved GI Joes as a kid and had a bunch of them. My first one was also the Sailor. My all time favorite though was the German GI Joe. I traded with another kid in the neighborhood, and it was my prized possession. My Mom even sewed a tiny overcoat for him :). It is the only toy from my childhood that I've been tempted to buy again as an adult. In the 70s GI Joe grew a beard and "life like hair". He also stopped being a military man and became an adventurer. I had a bunch of these too, but it wasn't quite the same. In hindsight, I'm sure this shift took place in response to the Vietnam war and negativity toward the military. 

You are correct Kadet.  The general sentiments towards the military / Vietnam War is largely what ushered in the “Adventure Team” series, consisting of flock-haired figures, like the Man Of Action, Commander, Sea Adventurer, Sky Adventurer, and so on.  The German soldier you are referring to came from the “Soldiers Of The World” lineup, which I think came out in ‘66.