Hello everyone,

I happen to have a 1896 soldier’s handbook that I’d like to share. What is interesting is the piece of foliage I found tucked in between the pages in the back of the book.  Could this soldier have been sent to Cuba or the Phillipenes and brought back a souvenir?

enjoy...

E83A89B2-774D-4DA2-88BF-3F3503AE293F.jpeg

CE9AE19F-1A20-40A5-8829-E6E384D14EDB.jpeg

47E2B4FB-CF38-4A6D-BB18-535B07650736.jpeg

1D85FBC6-032C-47B4-B680-EB8411B69096.jpeg

Very nice book. Nice to see some of the pages actually filled in. We have several at the US Army NCO museum but many of them are not filled out and were mere overstock. I like the possibility that the foliage in the back of the book may have been from the tropics. It looks as if it were some type of fern plant.

If you have a Natural History Museum in your area you may be able to take it to them to have them evaluate the fern.

Again a very nice book with some great detailed information (from what I can see) on uniform pieces and equipment..

Best regards, stay safe

Leigh 

If I recall the 10th infantry fought with distinction during the Spanish American War in Cuba, participating in the battle for San Juan Hill.

Really nice to see that he filled in the clothing that he was issued. This gives an excellent snapshot of what a private would be issued for this period. I doubt he went to the Philippines as he served from November 1896 through November 1898 and was discharged in Alabama.  It would be interesting to see if these were from Cuba.  

Oh ok,  yes it would be interesting. What would be the best way to preserve it? Of course it has been tucked inside this book for the past 123 years, it seems to be doing well