Harry Traynor - 704th TD Battalion

Jeeper704

Finally gotten around to make a little tribute to a fine person.
Harry Traynor was in the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion and we were in contact (letters) for several years untill he passed away in 2005.
He became my "American grandfather".

I used a copy of the original photo of Harry "somewhere in France", his TD patch, 4th AD patch (which he wore on the right side on his Ike Jacket), an Armor collar disc (screwback), a Staff Sergeant stripe he gave me and a piece of shrapnel removed from his knee in the 80s.
He claimed that piece of shrapnel was part of the driver's seat of his M-18.
His TD got hit by two German Panthers in February 1945 while advancing through the Bannholtz Woods in the Sinz-Nennig area, Germany.
He was the sole survivor as far as I know.

Parts of both the M-18 and the two Panthers (which were knocked out later) were found at the place where he lost his crew and best friend.

post-2901-0-93077600-1403896145.jpg

post-2901-0-85104000-1403896159.jpg

Erwin
(I will replace the frame with a bigger one.)

Erwin,

Very nice to see this. You've spoken of him many times and it's easy to see how much you admired him. You are one of the lucky few who had one of these gentlemen as a friend. I feel sorry for the coming generation that will never know these men and women.

Please post again when it's in the final frame. Thanks!!

Thanks guys.

Jim, I'll do that. thumbsup.gif

He's one of those people who influence your life.

I do consider myself very lucky to have known him.

Erwin

Erwin,

Very nice to see this. You've spoken of him many times and it's easy to see how much you admired him. You are one of the lucky few who had one of these gentlemen as a friend. I feel sorry for the coming generation that will never know these men and women.

Please post again when it's in the final frame. Thanks!!

Jim is on target you are one lucky guy. If I may be so bold I think a traditional shadow box with the addition of any medals he earned.

As for the shrapnel that is one big chunk!

Thanks for sharing.

John

He said it didn't bother him for so many years.

I'm guessing it logged itself partially in place of his knee cap or something.

I'll post a photo of him after the operation when I have time.

Unfortunately, these are the only things I have from him, besides photos and letters.

Maybe I'll get medals to represent the ones he earned, I'l have to think about that.

Thanks for the tip though.

Erwin

• 3 months later...

Hi sir, was Harry Traynor Sr. from New Jersey? He may have been my step grandfather and I have been looking to be in contact my deceased step fathers family. Harry Traynor Jr. was my stepfather.

Thank you for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that is him, I have stuff I have to find to share with you. I only met him twice but he was a great man.

Harry was married to Regina.

One of his sons was a Green Beret in Viet Nam.

He had two sons and three daughters.

If we're both talking about the same person, then I will be glad to help you. :)

Erwin

Harry was married to Regina.

One of his sons was a Green Beret in Viet Nam.

He had two sons and three daughters.

If we're both talking about the same person, then I will be glad to help you. :)

Erwin

I did not know his second wife's real name. He did have two sons, Harry Jr and Joey. I know of 2 sisters, Barbra and I think Stacy?

I'm going on memory of 21 years ago when my father passed away. My wife has informed me she knows where the stuff from Harry Sr. is so I am looking fwd to looking at it again. The TD patch, 4th AD patch images are burned in my memory. I know I've seen them before.

How long does it take before you can send a PM on this board?

Thanks Erwin!

I did not know his second wife's real name. He did have two sons, Harry Jr and Joey. I know of 2 sisters, Barbra and I think Stacy?

I'm going on memory of 21 years ago when my father passed away. My wife has informed me she knows where the stuff from Harry Sr. is so I am looking fwd to looking at it again. The TD patch, 4th AD patch images are burned in my memory. I know I've seen them before.

How long does it take before you can send a PM on this board?

Thanks Erwin!

oh and his nickname was Bear or The Bear.

Thanks again