WW2 M1 Fixed bail Helmet. Authentic?

I have had this M1 fixed bail helmet in my collection for a bit, I always thought it was authentic fixed bail , but after seeing some recent posts on the forum about other helmets, I thought I should post it up and ask to put any doubts to rest. 

I have posted some photos of the bales and the stitching up close. Please let me know your thoughts as helmets are not my strong point in collecting and it seems that helmet collecting these days is basically like navigating a mine field. Do the fixed bales look to be made of the proper material? Do they look to be welded on correctly? Also, does the stitching on the helmet straps look correct? I'm not sure as to the paint on the helmet either, I realize that there were a lot of different color variants on helmets during that period. Does  the paint look accurate for the WW2 period? The heat stamp on the helmet reads "270 B" and it is a front seam. Please let me know your thoughts as to whether or not it is an authentic WW2 fixed bail helmet. I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

IMG_7482.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7479.jpg

IMG_7476.jpg

IMG_7475.jpg

IMG_7489.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg

IMG_7483.jpg

Steel pot is a early fixed bail McCord.  

very nice!

Craig

Thank you to all that have served our country and to your families that have sacrificed without your presence at home. Thank you to all that have given their lives for my freedom and to their families that suffer. May God bless you!

Frankly,  if this is original set it’s one of the nicer examples of an early WWII USMC helmet I’ve seen.

Craig

Thank you to all that have served our country and to your families that have sacrificed without your presence at home. Thank you to all that have given their lives for my freedom and to their families that suffer. May God bless you!

Thanks for looking it over and confirming that its an authentic early McCord! I thought the Hawley might be a later pattern because of the A washers. I think the steel pot and the liner are probably a matching set. However, if you look at the rust on the helmet cover, it doesn't match the wear on the helmet. The helmet has virtually no rust marks whatsoever, so I am leaning  towards believing that the cover originally belonged to a different helmet. Would like to know your thoughts on that.  I may be wrong, haven't had much experience collecting helmets. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.