Removing a sticker from a military box

avigo

Hi guys. Found a really cool small WWI box at the flea market today. It has some awesome markings on it, however, there is a sticker from an auction or something on the box. I really want to remove the sticker without leaving residue or using cleaners like vinegar or goo gone and removing the patina.

Is there any safe way to do this? Would using a hair dryer work and is that safe?

Or is my only option to rip the sticker off and deal with the stain it leaves.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

Sorry, thought I put the info in the original post and it won't let me edit it. Wood box. Sticker is over original Rock Island Arsenal stamp. Here is a photo

2vhkw74.jpg

Personally, I would not use any fluids or liquids on it.

Id take a little knife and carefully pry up and edge and slowly carefully peel it off.

Work at it slow.. If it rips.. go from another edge. When you get it off you can gently rub any residual glue

gum off the suface. Or gently use a piece of tape to remove any glue residue.

Id do that beore any solvents. You mght damage the finish with solvents

Or if any glue is left... Try a little bit of lighter fluid like zippo fluid on a q tip on the bottom somewhere out of sight and see if it effects the finish.. If it doesnt.. You can carefully wipe the residual glue off with that.

Test it first though. If it doesnt effect the finish.... You can pry up an edge and get it with tweezers and dribble a little fluid along the edge you are pulling up and it will come right off. The trick is to see if it wont harm the finish before you try the fluid.

As a disclaimer ... Thats what Id prob try but Its not mine and its just a suggestion...

There looks to be a spot near the 'A' in the stamping....As stated, take something flat and thin and lift in that spot...Than work slowly to free the whole sticker...My guess is, it will come off easier than you think....Bodes

Thanks so much guys! You were right, it was a lot easier than I thought, which I'm very happy about. Actually used a piece of tape to pull up on the sticker, and then then slowly peeled it off. Doesn't look there is any residue or anything. Very happy! I have had bad experiences in the past. Thanks again