Pre-WW1 Navy uniform

beerdragon54

beerdragon54

I forgot I owned this. There is a name and a date on tag with a handwritten date of 1918. Looks like a model 1895. I know little about Navy stuff. Anyone know what the bullion stars, etc mean?Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocCollector1441

The stars indicate that he was a Line Officer. The sleeve stripes indicate he is a Lieutenant Commander (equivalent to a Major in the other services) which correlates to the oakleaves on his collar. The anchors were also a symbol of line officers. The uniform is in correct configuration per the 1917 uniform regulations.

beerdragon54

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.

The chevron is for three months service in a combat area during WW1. Walter V. Combs was USNA class of 1910, medical retirement in 1921 as a lieutenant commander.

beerdragon54

Thank you so much Justin. Means a lot more to me now that I know and understand his journey.

That's a really nice jacket...you don't often seen more senior ranks from WW1 as many of the officers that were brought in for the war ended up as ensigns or LTjgs by the time they got out, leaving a probable (my estimate) 10 to 1 ratio of really junior officer uniforms as compared to LCDR or above. This one is particularly nice as he was a USNA graduate who served overseas as well. His file at the National Archives would be obtainable if you're interested in finding out more about him.

beerdragon54

Dave, thanks for the enlightenment. I think I will send away for his records. At $80

For the uniform I think I can spare it.