WW1 Marine Helmet

muddyboots

Thanks for the additional pics.

It seems a lot of the real Marine and 2nd Division helmets tend to be Brodies patterns.

muddyboots

I have looked at helmets that roll through the shops all the time and have never paid any attention to the pins and never thought about stamps in the liners. Thanks for that insight.

Here is an interesting thread on this forum that discusses a cammo composite helmet in posts 120-123

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30549-wwi-usmc-painted-helmets-with-egas/page-5

This helmet of course has a painted ega on it. It is my belief this helmet was done in France by a local artisan. I have a cammo painted helmet as well by the same artist. Mine is identified to the Marine, who was wounded in July 1918 and sent home in late September. His unit is not denoted on the helmet. I believe he had his helmet painted up before going home as a souvenir. In this same thread, posts 129 nd 130, you will see images of the Composite Battalion yardlong I referred to. Helmets are on the ground in front of the Marines. No ega's, but the same style as depicted on Bobs helmet is very evident.

muddyboots

Here is an interesting thread on this forum that discusses a cammo composite helmet in posts 120-123

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30549-wwi-usmc-painted-helmets-with-egas/page-5

This helmet of course has a painted ega on it. It is my belief this helmet was done in France by a local artisan. I have a cammo painted helmet as well by the same artist. Mine is identified to the Marine, who was wounded in July 1918 and sent home in late September. His unit is not denoted on the helmet. I believe he had his helmet painted up before going home as a souvenir. In this same thread, posts 129 nd 130, you will see images of the Composite Battalion yardlong I referred to. Helmets are on the ground in front of the Marines. No ega's, but the same style as depicted on Bobs helmet is very evident.

Thanks and greatly appreciated.

Here'q previously posted pic of my E Co helmet with later applied EGA alongside Jeremiah's Composite Regt.lid. From the pics I'm sticking with this one being an original E Co. with later applied camo & EGA. BTW mine is a U.S. made M-17 & IDed to a SSM/Ph recipient. The Indian Head on these helmets is very distinctive. Semper Fi......Bobgee

USB ARCHIVE PICS 128.jpg

Eric Queen

I disagree with Bob on this one. For me, it is a total fabrication although whoever did it surely used a composite unit helmet as a guide.

Eric Queen

Here is my Co. E helmet named to George Dudley a SSC winner at Blanc Mont.

post-3953-0-96849900-1515254804.jpg

Composite Regiment helmets are all relatively smooth finish/green paint for parade wear. Right? The helmet in question has a sand finish...I think I'm falling into Eric's camp on this one.

I agree once again with Eric. The paint on the helmet in question just doesnt live up to the quality I see in the originals. The head dress, which attempts to replicate the originals just isnt as well executed. I am also bothered by the flesh tone used for the face. Originals seem to stick to the primary color of red and it is my theory that the palett used by artists in the period was rather limited. Bob, Jeremiah and Eric, those are all gorgeous examples. I have been in the market for one of these for over two years and they keep eluding me. Anyone have an extra? Kevin

The overall helmet finish is definitely an eye-brow raiser. The Composite helmets I've seen all had a smooth finish. ????? Curious as to the location of the find, i.e military dealer or general antiques, the seller and any back story and the cost?

I'm also curious about the dimensions of the star and painting of the Indian compared to known examples. There are some pretty good helmet forensic experts on USMF. Not me! Matbe one will chime in. Bobgee

C. Roelens

I disagree with Bob on this one. For me, it is a total fabrication although whoever did it surely used a composite unit helmet as a guide.

Absolutely no question in my mind that is exactly what it is.

None of the paint shows 90+ years of age and patina... not the painted replica of the Composite Regiment Indianhead, Star, 1/6 Diamond, or Camo. It doesn't even come close to the authentic Composite Regiment helmets posted.

Chuck

Here's a closeup of a good E Co. Indianhead for comparison. Amazing! Bob

121b.jpg

I removed the EGA anymore thoughts welcome.