Early U.S. Army Missile Lighter (& small group)

I picked up this lighter recently that was part of a small early U.S. Army missile grouping. It's a small Japanese made Vulcan brand lighter. This one is pretty small - smaller than the other Vulcan lighters I have in my collection which are already smaller than a Zippo.

Looks like the original owner was part of the 84th Artillery, equipped with the MGM-5 Corporal Nuclear Missile. From what I have read, the Corporal was pretty unreliable and dangerous to it's crew due to the liquid fuel of its day.

-Derek

post-5482-0-70647200-1523125268_thumb.jpg

post-5482-0-68368300-1523125355_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot of the entire group that came with the lighter for those interested. The Fort Bliss booklet was fun to look at. It's not dated, but I think it must be very early 1950s. The post looked a lot different in the booklet than I remember it from the 1980s!

-Derek

post-5482-0-90045000-1523125934_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Air Force Brat

VERY NICE,
I knew they had surface to surface ballistic missiles in the 50's, even nuclear tipped artillery shells. I wasn't aware they had deployed battalions for that single purpose. Awesome find, thats about as old as it gets for missileers.
From what I could find looks like the 84th ART was part of the 526th missile battalion 1 stationed at fort sill the other in Germany

Commonly referred to as the WAC Corporal lol
cant find the logo anywhere though. Very nice find