Navy Lt. Helmet set named to D-Day veteran

WWII_GI

I picked this on up today and after some research it has me pretty excited! I don't have it in hand yet so these are the only pictures I have. It is in pretty good shape and shows little use, the shell has a vertical white bar as well as the name R.L. Wadbrook stenciled across the back. It also has the initials RLW stenciled on the front. The liner has the same name and initial stenciling. After some research I was able to find the veterans obituary and it had some amazing information! His full name was Russell Lawrence Wadbrook, he was a Navy Lt. Junior grade and according to his obituary he was the Executive officer of LCT-003 which landed on Utah beach on June 6th 1944.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Wadbrook&GSfn=R&GSmn=L&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=168596842&df=all&

I also found some info on LCT-3, shown here

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/18/180003.htm

Additionally in 2014 he was awarded the New Jersey distinguished service medal from Governor Chris Christie, here is a video I found online of the ceremony.

Sadly Mr. Wadbrook passed away in August of 2016. The seller purchased this helmet from his estate.

I have looked around for military records but I haven't found anything, Ancestry.com has none, any ideas why he's not showing up there?

Thanks for looking! Enjoy!

-Steven

post-104606-0-30367400-1507237727.jpgpost-104606-0-88701400-1507237744.jpgpost-104606-0-54509700-1507237738.jpgpost-104606-0-37356500-1507237763.jpg

Unbelievable!!!!!! Beautiful helmet!

Found this: https://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque.aspx?honoreeID=99572

Not sure if you came across it.

Doesn't say much but it's another confirmation that he landed on D-Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah yes! I forgot to run his name through that page. Thank you!

-Steven

Here is his link on Find-A-Grave https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=168596842&ref=acom. Fold3 has a lot more military records than Ancestry.

Ancestry.com has none, any ideas why he's not showing up there?

All kinds of glitches can affect on-line searches. Could be that some of his records are listed using just his first initial & maybe middle initial with his last name so a full name search will come up empty. Sometimes digital scanners mis-read certain letters in the name on the paper document so it doesn't pop up in a search.

I found some info on Ancestry using Rhode Island as his home state instead of New Jersey. Looks like he returned to the U.S. in May 1945 aboard LST-510. Great helmet - its unusual to see the vertical leadership stripe on a Navy pot.

Tom

Here is his link on Find-A-Grave https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=168596842&ref=acom. Fold3 has a lot more military records than Ancestry.

All kinds of glitches can affect on-line searches. Could be that some of his records are listed using just his first initial & maybe middle initial with his last name so a full name search will come up empty. Sometimes digital scanners mis-read certain letters in the name on the paper document so it doesn't pop up in a search.

I found some info on Ancestry using Rhode Island as his home state instead of New Jersey. Looks like he returned to the U.S. in May 1945 aboard LST-510. Great helmet - its unusual to see the vertical leadership stripe on a Navy pot.

Tom

Ah yes now I see those! I have access to Fold3 through my college university but I'm not finding anything related to him on there.

-Steven

The helmet has arrived and it is definitely a beauty! I have requested his file so more information is on the way. The shells heat stamp dates if to around September-October 1943. The liner is an early firestone, note how the A washers are unpainted but the nape strap webbing area does not have the folded over ends. There looks to be another name in the liner but I cant quite make it out.

Thanks for looking!

-Steven

post-104606-0-30114800-1508018213.jpgpost-104606-0-75039600-1508018215.jpg

Just curious, not questioning the authenticity, but what is the rationale of a Navy helmet having a "follow me" bar?

. You are looking at it through "Army" eyes. Aboard amphibious assault ships, officers were assigned to embark and debark stations. At night, under red lights, everyone looks the same. Officers and Chiefs often mark their helmets so they can be seen and identified. Additionally, as this officers ship hauled Army troops, what better mark to ID himself to them?

• 1 year later...