Navy white uniform. WW1??

kphfun

I got this with some other item's and was told it was a Navy WW1 uniform. It has no marking's that I can read as the ink stamping's on the waist band are very faint. It seem's to be made of a light cotton denim. Would this be proper for that era? Thank's , Kev

• 2 months later...

It appears to be a white undress jumper. If I remember correctly, dress whites of this era would have a navy blue collar with white piping and navy blue cuffs with the appropriate number of stripes. Just a guess - I'm no expert

Those are undress or working whites. The dress whites of WW1 had a wool collar and cuffs like the one in this picture. My pants on my WW1 dress white uniform have a lace up tie in the back of the pants like the wool trousers. My buttons are also bone, not plastic, but they may be a variation. Probably WW2.

Fins.

post-4106-1232656228.jpg

pic
Check the trousers. If they have laces in the back, they are pre WW 2, and the style that was also used in WW 1.

Steve Hesson

One other thing that is not a 100% indication, but helps confirm the age is whether or not his 1st 2 initials and last name are stencilled on the bottom of the inside of the jumper. Pre-WWII jumpers generally are. The " font" of WWI stencils also looks different than the font on later stencils too.

Kurt