BC-620 Radio - How to date?

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

Does anyone know how to date a BC-620? I want to buy one buy only have photos. Not sure if I can pull date from the serial number? Thoughts?

post-131595-0-43972000-1500588279.png

The LSD stands for Lexington Signal Depot. A post WW2 rebuild facility. So it's a WW2 radio but rebuilt post war.

stealthytyler

The LSD stands for Lexington Signal Depot. A post WW2 rebuild facility. So it's a WW2 radio but rebuilt post war.

So if I understand you clearly, this radio was built in WWII and might have seen wartime service but was then sent to LSD to be reworked and rebuilt? Did LSD rebuild for the military or for civilian use? Thanks!

Rebuilt for military use. Then later on sold as surplus. Many times they are also repainted but not in the original crinkle OD paint. More of a smooth slightly shiny OD.

• 4 months later...

I have what I believe is an original BC-620-F. The name tag on it has a plastic cover that was freshened up considerably with an application of Marvel Mystery Oil. I have acquired an original manual and all the required tubes as well.

Acquisition of the set was a rare delight. I found it sitting by the road a quarter mile from my house with a sign that said "Free. Take it!"