ww1 marine corps dress blues?

twining540

twining540

A friend of mine recently picked this up from a local VFW and was going to pass it along to me. Does this look right? I lack the knowledge of ww1 uniforms. It isn't costing me anything, but I want to make sure I represent it correctly. Sorry for the lack of pics as I do not have it in my possession as of yet. Thanks!

post-102692-0-37437000-1496188197.jpg

post-102692-0-10488900-1496188210.jpg

Absolutely correct! The Ega's were added post 1922. These patches dress uniforms were worn by vets into the twenties and thirties. I have one with same patch but a black square for HQ. yours is fifth Marines first battalion. Is it named? Good score. Kevin

twining540

Not sure if there is a name. I will have him look. Otherwise I will take a look when I receive it. So this would have been a uniform put together for a veteran? Just wondering if the uniform and patch are ww1 but used into the 20's and 30's. And what is the possible value of something like this? Not looking to sell it, but just for my own knowledge. And thanks for the information!

Yes worn by both vets who left the

Corps for events as well as WWI vets who remained in I believe. There is a gorgeous studio shot of a Sergeant in Tulkoffs Equipping the Corps wearing a similar tunic. The stripes on yours are later as well reflecting the changes in regs. Same as

seen in the picture in the book. Your patch alone is worth $500 and I would say the uniform as is would fetch around $800 IMO. If you find a name I can look him up on the fourth brigade roster. Just a real nice tunic that some

Collectors get confused over. Kevin

Schnicklfritz

I would want to lean towards the uniform itself being probably in the 30's, but the patch is definitely original WW1 occupation era. Take a look inside the sleeves and see if there is a date stamp. The pocketless pattern of blues were used into the 40's. The EGAs look to be the '37 pattern from what I can make out in the photo. The patch itself is a very nice "Coblentz" pattern silk screened patch. Like Kevin said, the patch alone is worth about $500

twining540

Thanks for the help! I just received it today, and unfortunately there is no name. There is only a faint blue stamp in the left shoulder. All I can make out is US MA... with what looks like 1917 under the US. I know the uniform was donated to the VFW from somebody named Cpt Jack from Ludington MI. Hopefully I can research the 5th marines and narrow it down to a marine from Michigan. Anyways here are a few extra pics. Thanks again!

post-102692-0-40246300-1496532312.jpg

post-102692-0-23514400-1496532339.jpg

Take a look at the holes the ega go through. If they are just punched through the cloth and not stitched holes, then it is likely pre 1922. If the holes are stitched post 1922. There is nothing about the construction of the tunic that would lead me to believe it is not or couldn't be WWI vintage. Once again, nice uniform. Kevin

Old Marine

Nice find. That is a nice looking uniform with a great patch. Those EGAs are great looking. I know that is the way you received it and you are not supposed to mess with things but those EGAs are on backwards, the anchors should point inboard. I would switch them.

We all have those "little things" that drive us crazy.....lol.

Congrats on acquiring a nice piece.

Schnicklfritz

Well, I eat my opinion on the uniform. It definitely appears to be WW1 era and the EGAs are not M37 pattern, but earlier. Last thing I recall about that particular pattern is that they may have been German made. Nice uniform group!