Two War Veteran WW1-WW2

doyler

Here is a set of uniforms I aquired a few years ago.I had known of these since I was a young boy.A friend of mine aquired these in or around 1970 after the death of MacNider.They were stored in a trunk at a tennant farm owned by the MacNiders.The tennant offered them back to Mrs MacNider and she told him to burn them as she didnt want to burden the family with them.Long story short my friend was running an add to buy military and was able to purchase these.

Hanford MacNider had served on the Mexican border with the Iowa National Guard.WW1 service with the 2nd Division,9th Inf and after a political career pulled some strings and entered WW2 and served as a General assigned to the 158th Regimental Combat Team,The Bushmasters.I have been told he was the first General officer to be wounded in combat.He was later in command of the 103 Infantry(reserves) after the war.I had read in an arcticle where he was promoted to a 3 star after or upon his retirement.I guess I should write NARA and get his file.

I also have a WW2 Japanese medical trunk with his name on it.This is the trunk the uniforms and many souvenirs were in when originally found in 1970(my friend sold all the other stuff).I also have a Generals license plate and some odds and ends.The group is a favorite for several reasons.I am a second division fan and he was a veteran from here in my state of Iowa.He had lived approximately 70 miles from my home town.One other intresting fact is he named his estate"Indian Head".I understand it was donated to the county and turned into a home for young women.

RON

WW1 uniform.French made,bullion 2nd Division patch,direct hand embroidered 9th Infantry crossed rifles.The belt is an enlisted M1910.It came in the trunk.I guess it was obtained or used by MacNider from his National Guard days.

post-342-1223778591.jpg

post-342-1223778540.jpg

post-342-1223778434.jpg

Here is the ike he wore during and after WW2.I can see where the 158th had been on the left sleeve.The ribbons were on the uniform as found.I believe they were in the trunk and my friend pinned them on in the 1970s as I remember him telling me this when I was a boy and first saw the uniform.He always wanted to rebuild the ribon group but never got all the others he needed.

RON

post-342-1223779265.jpg

post-342-1223779299.jpg

post-342-1223779335.jpg

I don't usually jump in with quick wow's but that is a realy super pair of jacket's that would be hard to beat, I hope you do more research.

I don't usually jump in with quick wow's but that is a realy super pair of jacket's that would be hard to beat, I hope you do more research.

Brad

Thanks for the kind comment.I will try to post a scan of a picture I have of the trunk.Just need to dig for the old photo book!!

RON

Ron,

You should be able to find some sort of portrait photo of him in uniform which would clarify the ribbon situation. This should be available from NARA -- I can request it if you like. (I get pretty quick service on e-mail requests after I raised h--l a couple of years ago about a lost inquiry.)

CHeck also local sources like the state and county historical societies, back newspapers, etc. Given hos political background, there should be plenty.

G

Hanford MacNider

Hanford MacNider (1889–February 18, 1968) was a United States diplomat and United States Army General, serving in both World War I and World War II.

MacNider was born in Mason City, Iowa, the son of a prominent banker. He attended boarding school in Milton, Massachusetts and subsequently attended Harvard University, where he graduated in 1911 before returning to Iowa.

MacNider subsequently joined the United States National Guard and served during the Pancho Villa Expedition during the Mexican Revolution. During World War I, he was sent to France and participated in the founding of the American Legion. After the war, he remained the commander of the Legion for the State of Iowa from 1920 to 1921, before being elevated to the national commander.

After the election of Calvin Coolidge as President of the United States in 1924, MacNider was appointed Assistant Secretary of War.[1] He married Margaret McAuley in 1925. In 1928, he was considered a possible Republican candidate for President, but after the death of his father, MacNider returned to Iowa to handle the family's business affairs.

In 1930, MacNider was made the United States ambassador to Canada by President Herbert Hoover. In 1932, he resigned in an unsuccessful attempt to be made the Republican candidate for Vice President. In 1940, he again failed receive the Republican nomination for President and declined the Vice Presidential candicacy under Wendell Lewis Willkie. He also turned down a cabinet position offered by President Dwight Eisenhower.

MacNider was eventually promoted to Brigadier General in the United States Army, and then Major General until his retirement in 1951. (After retirement, he was promoted to Lieutenant General.) During World War II, he was wounded while commanding the Buna Task Force in New Guinea. After recovery, he was given the command of the 158th Regimental Combat Team, also known as the Bushmasters, at the Vicol Peninsula.l Peninsula.

His awards include 2 Purple Hearts, 2 Bronze Stars, 3 Silver Stars, and 3 times awarded the Distinguished Service Cross.

On February 18, 1968, while on vacation in Sarasota, Florida, he died at a hospital. Cause of death was a pulmonary edema.

Here's Hanford Nider as a Brigadier General:

post-1963-1223837354.jpg

As Nider was a very active political figure between the wars, there is plenty about him on Internet (thanks, Google) and also in NY Times archives (pay per view). Gen. Mac Arthur evidently took a personal interest in Col. Nider, after he arrived in New Guinea in 1942 (NY Times, etc.), although it is possible that Mac Arthur knew Nider earlier, in Washington, while he was Army Chief of Staff....there is some very interesting back story to Nider's Army career in WWII. You should have some fun with this one, doyler, and I recommend that you do refer to NY Times, as there is some reporting there that undoubtedly was not repeated in Gen. Nider's official bio.

Ron,

You should be able to find some sort of portrait photo of him in uniform which would clarify the ribbon situation. This should be available from NARA -- I can request it if you like. (I get pretty quick service on e-mail requests after I raised h--l a couple of years ago about a lost inquiry.)

CHeck also local sources like the state and county historical societies, back newspapers, etc. Given hos political background, there should be plenty.

G

Gil,Thanks for the note.

May take you up on the offer.I have some back round on him from an old issue of the Iowan magazine.Im sure there was some local embellishing of the arcticle as I have heard referance made to MacNider as being the most decorated officer in WW1 next to Black Jack Pershing.I knew of his political associations and in the trunk was a black tuxedo with tales.Im sure it was his and he wore it most likely in the 1930s.

After colledge he wandered through europe for a while.His family also had the Portland cement company.There is a small art museum named after him and I have seen the oil painting od him and his medals are on display.I dont know if they are all original or not.I havent seen them for several years.I have some paper work on him but not a lot.I recently obtained a WW1 2nd Division unit history and he was listed in there also.

I had posted and arcticle in the AMMUC on the group a few years ago.The book I show in the posts only mention MacNider on three differnt pages,One was when he took over the 158th and then there is mention about his friendship with McAuthur.It also mentions he was more of a polotician and didnt really elaborate on his combat qualities as a leader.

RON

Thanks VC1945 and Wailuna for all the extra info.

I love talking to the old timers at the local gunshow.They talk of back in the 1970s when his home was empty.Locals say that many kids got into the home and ransacked the place.Often carring away what they could carry.While being chased or after getting bored they would pitch stuff in a creek behinde the home.I have heard all sorts of things had been found...japanese swords,bayonets etc.I believe one of the guys I know still has a Japanese Nambu found in the creek,complete with magazine.Just a rusty relic now.

I have seen a picture of the living area of his home.He had a mantle over the fire place and carved in to the wood are several of the divisional insignias from WW1.Would be intresting to see if it still exists.

RON

I also remember an ASMIC arcticle on the 158th patch.If I remember correctly it stated something about the orignal ones first done.I have always wondered if the one on the Generals ike was one of the firsts.

RON

• 5 years later...

Wanted to bump this back to the top since we have had a on going discussion on the 158th.The patch on the Generals Ike jacket is on a black silk/rayon material.

Hello Ron- Happy New Year to you. Thanks for posting the nice piece of history. I noticed the three great silver citation stars on his WW1 victory ribbon on his uniform- outstanding. Not many people have likely seen multiple citation stars. Vern Shattuck