D-Day Navy Helmet for sale on EBAY

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

I have a Foxy 29 medical helmet from a sailor at Utah beach. No grey bands at all. Red Cross on front with name. Maybe he never made it ashore and stayed on the LST? I posted the helmet on this forum. Search foxy 29.

Hi Steve - Do you - or anybody else - have any info on the one that sold last year? Maybe pics or something? I watch these pretty closely, and don't remember that auction; or posts here, which it likely would have generated. Certainly possible I missed it.

Quite respectfully, when I read a vague statement with "pretty sure" and "closer to $2000", I'm not sure how to interpret it. Without stickling on semantics, does that mean $1751, as it was in reference to a $1500 question, or something else? My reason for asking, is that there've been multiple threads regarding our custodianship in "what's it worth" posts. Not that a beginning collector will necessarily make their first purchase a Navy Beach Battalion helmet, but I think a lot (too much) about numbers that we throw out, as some folks use them as guidance.

Said another way, it sounds like you're pretty knowledgable on these helmets. You note that you've paid as little as $500 for one, and are pretty sure one sold for closer to $2000. If you walked into a local antique show, and saw this same helmet sitting on a table, what would YOU reach into your pocket and pay for it?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure one sold on ebay last year for

closer to $2,000.

Yellow armband with black SP.

Just FYI yellow armband with black SP is shore party. Any personnel assigned to a shore party could/would wear the armbands. Sometimes these were joint army/navy units.

Also Beach Battalions and shore parties were different units with different responsibilities. Beach Battalions being the larger and purely navy organization

stealthytyler

Just FYI yellow armband with black SP is shore party. Any personnel assigned to a shore party could/would wear the armbands. Sometimes these were joint army/navy units.

Also Beach Battalions and shore parties were different units with different responsibilities. Beach Battalions being the larger and purely navy organization

Well it all adds up now. I don't have any photos of the battalion wearing them but it doesn't mean they didn't! Thanks.

I get a little wonky every time I see someone with "1" as their feedback score, coming back time and again boosting the bids like what is happening on this helmet.

stealthytyler

I get a little wonky every time I see someone with "1" as their feedback score, coming back time and again boosting the bids like what is happening on this helmet.

+1

So hard to judge the helmet given the bad photographs. Needs some better lighting and close up images of the paint. Think I will wait for a named set with solid provenance!

Here's another pic of one of these helmets in use on Omaha Beach, 7 June 44...I ran across it when I was at NARA and thought it was cool...

Great photo Dave Thanks for posting

Agreed.

+1

So hard to judge the helmet given the bad photographs. Needs some better lighting and close up images of the paint. Think I will wait for a named set with solid provenance!

not something I would be comfortable spending that amount of money on without seeing it....

especially in this auction with poor photos.

it could very well be good... it could very well be not good.

also, as stated that without an ID or unit info there is no way to call this a "D-Day" helmet.

maybe "D-Day style" as in an ebay title would be more appropriate.

if anything they should be labeled as "Normandy campaign" helmets IMO without proper provenance.

-Brian

Yeah, I noticed that. However, in this case, there is a positive side of the boosting in that we will get a better feel for the reserve on this helmet. So it should be fun watching.

For what it is worth, the seller sells a lot of militaria.

His last feedback, however, was over a year ago.

Also, it also concerns me that the "1" feedback guy keeps boosting the bidding.

Don't think Bugme would need EBay to move a quality helmet. I'm positive he has access to the top M1 helmet collectors in the community.

I am not the seller nor do I even know the seller. Just passing along the information. For the record, with no provenance, $3K is a bit above max, for this one.

How did you see this? Thanks

For some reason the reserve shows up in the mobile version but,not the normal site. Go figure.