Need help with these patches

Alec

Not sure of what or when they were made. I am sure they are not ww2 so they will be sold when ID'd. The recon obvious, but in country or junk, I am leaning towards junk.

post-7194-0-47660200-1478463029_thumb.jpg

post-7194-0-52977500-1478463053_thumb.jpg

post-7194-0-22892800-1478463098_thumb.jpg

post-7194-0-86795000-1478463110_thumb.jpg

post-7194-0-40945200-1478463121_thumb.jpg

The last is a Vietnamese made novelty patch based on the shoulder sleeve insignia of the Army Security Agency. The middle patch is a South Vietnamese unit, an engineer unit by the looks of the design.

I do not trust the 25th ID RECON patch. The patch they did use was a pocket patch that was a red triangle with a yellow lightning bolt, and the word RECON across it.

I've never seen this design and cannot find it in my reference material.

The embroidery seems a bit heavy handed for Vietnamese work, especially the lettering.

I agree with GWB on the 25th. The ASA one looks Japanese or OKI made? The ARVN is 5th Construction Battalion and looks good, probably a pocket hanger at one time.

The novelty ASA is holding a bottle of Saigon 33 beer. I will not begin to describe it.

Oh Man. I should have seen that. I was thinking it was 'EE'. But put the bottle down and it's '33'. DuHH! That is a very cool patch.

So the ASA Patch is a legitimate Nam Era patch? Are novelty patches collected at all? Do they even have any value since they were not legitimate at all?

So the ASA Patch is a legitimate Nam Era patch? Are novelty patches collected at all? Do they even have any value since they were not legitimate at all?

Novelty patches are collectable, some people only look for them. They do have value, especially for small or obscure units.The ASA is probably $75-100? They were worn. Usually on a boonie hat, party suit, etc. ARVN 5th Construction around $25-30.