Got to shoot a WW2 USMC M1903-A1/Unertl sniper rifle yesterday!

Leatherwringer

Leatherwringer

Went to the club as a guest of some good friends and found out one of them was sighting in a M1903-A1/Unertl.
Thinking it is valued somewhere around 10K, when he asked me if I wanted to put a few in the black...I jumped at the chance!
We were at the 300yard bunkhouse and I was so accurate with that beauty I wanted to mortgage the house and take it
home and make it mine....what a beautiful setup with so much history!!
here is a link if anyone doesn't know very much about this rare gun and scope!
This is the same type of scope that Carlos Hathcock used in Vietnam on his sniper rifle

post-13664-0-37216100-1463233207.jpg

:) does same thing to me. Fine on my desktop.

And the forum will not let me delete the image- I get an 'action failed' error.

post-3065-0-25130200-1463236268.jpg

...and when I flip it 180*, the file is bigger...?...?

Maybe this cropped version works...nope. I saved that image upside down. Something is either corrupted with the pic or this website

post-3065-0-01853900-1463236610.jpg

So, anyway.

This is the scope that needs to be 'reset' manually after each shot, correct?

I have read people's comments about the 1903 rifle being a lousy platform for a sniper rifle, based on the field use of M1903A4s. Utter rubbish. The problem with the 03A4s was poor selection of rifles to begin with, and a mediocre telescope. The rifles were not even National Match quality and the Weaver scopes were stopgap. USMC did things right and got excellent results.

suwanneetrader

I have this scope on a 1937 era Md. 54 Winchester. I have not shot it in about 15 years but when I did I never could get the scope sighted in. The ..22 Hornet was better for me open sights. Maybe I just did not know the mechanics of the scope :unsure: Richard

Leatherwringer

thanks for the help with the pic...I have a couple more but did not want to post them upside down.

Yep, the scope resets with the recoil...I am assuming that if it was completely fixed on the rifle, recoil

would be rough on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up a older thread, but Leatherwinger I don't know if you are still in contact with the gentleman who owns this rifle. But we have a small group of guys who have real rifles and we are conducting a lot of new research on them. If you talk to him, and he wants to see how his compares to the group, he is more than welcome to contact me. [email protected]

By the way you must be halfway local. I live in Van Wert, OH, and my other buddy who has a Unertl Rifle lives in Toledo.

Leatherwringer

Sorry to bring up a older thread, but Leatherwinger I don't know if you are still in contact with the gentleman who owns this rifle. But we have a small group of guys who have real rifles and we are conducting a lot of new research on them. If you talk to him, and he wants to see how his compares to the group, he is more than welcome to contact me. [email protected]

By the way you must be halfway local. I live in Van Wert, OH, and my other buddy who has a Unertl Rifle lives in Toledo.

I will see if I can pass on your email contact info! I live in Vermilion...Toledo is about an hour west and I see you are farther south and west.