2 Medic helmets and an MP

GF97

I don't mean to correct you URIK but the medic panels were under 2 layers of paint, the same thing with the MP helmet. I could see the outline of the decals through the paint so I uncovered them with goof off. Once I got it uncovered I also uncovered the original layer of green paint around the edges of the decal. The decals are not on the outer layer, I just didn't clean the rest of the new layers of paint off.

My opinion is still the same.

My opinion is still the same.

Yeah, and my opinion is still the same, painted over WWII era medic markings. On the upside, there is a 50/50 chance that one of us is right. :)

If anyone is still paying attention to the post I found a couple of interesting things with the helmets. Bugme I think you are right I found a name in the square medic panel helmet. It is on a newer layer of paint on the inside of the helmet. It reads "WD Morton". I did some research and could only find info on a WW2 vet. I found that he was in a mechanics Co. and was in the pacific in 1944. Like I said his name is on a layer of paint that is over the medic symbol, which leads me to believe that it was a wartime repaint. The other medic helmet has what I believe to be a company designation in it. It says D-179 and when I researched it I discovered there was a medic company D that was with the 179th medical battalion which was part of the 134th medical group. No idea if anything I found holds any water but like I said I am just researching what I have found marked in the helmets. Also I finally looked closer at the "M2" shell, and I can see pretty obvious marks where the D-bales were mounted. It was converted to swivel bail very cleanly but there are sanding dimples that are still where the old bail feet would have been. There is also a name in this shell and it reads HOOB. No idea what that means or if it is even a name but none the less it is interesting.

If anyone is still paying attention to the post I found a couple of interesting things with the helmets. Bugme I think you are right I found a name in the square medic panel helmet. It is on a newer layer of paint on the inside of the helmet. It reads "WD Morton". I did some research and could only find info on a WW2 vet. I found that he was in a mechanics Co. and was in the pacific in 1944. Like I said his name is on a layer of paint that is over the medic symbol, which leads me to believe that it was a wartime repaint. The other medic helmet has what I believe to be a company designation in it. It says D-179 and when I researched it I discovered there was a medic company D that was with the 179th medical battalion which was part of the 134th medical group. No idea if anything I found holds any water but like I said I am just researching what I have found marked in the helmets. Also I finally looked closer at the "M2" shell, and I can see pretty obvious marks where the D-bales were mounted. It was converted to swivel bail very cleanly but there are sanding dimples that are still where the old bail feet would have been. There is also a name in this shell and it reads HOOB. No idea what that means or if it is even a name but none the less it is interesting.

Medics markings were few and far between in the PTO due to the fact that they made the wearer of the helmet an instant target so I would think you might want to do some more digging on the medic lid. Medics markings were more of an ETO thing. Keep in mind not all the WWII records exist after the fire at the Archives. I know for a fact my Grandfathers are non existent.

Medics markings were few and far between in the PTO due to the fact that they made the wearer of the helmet an instant target so I would think you might want to do some more digging on the medic lid. Medics markings were more of an ETO thing. Keep in mind not all the WWII records exist after the fire at the Archives. I know for a fact my Grandfathers are non existent.

That's what I have heard but the guy I found wasn't a medic, he enlisted into a mechanics co. in late 44. The helmet is a 1942, I just wonder if it had been used by a medic that didn't survive and was given to this other guy before the wars end. The shell went through a conversion to swivel bail and got repainted over the medic symbols at least 2 times. That is a good point about the records. There could have been multiple WD Morton's.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I believe the distance between the feet of a fixed loop and a C loop is different, I don't know the measurements though.

I believe the distance between the feet of a fixed loop and a C loop is different, I don't know the measurements though.

Here's a measurement from a broken loop M-2

HH Airborne 2.jpg