my last USAAF uniforms

usaaf93

Hello

Here are my last finds.

1/ This lot came from the estate of 1 Lt Robert M Wells.

I was lucky to get this nice red lined jacket and its M-41 jacket.

The tan jacket was with it. I was really surprised to find a pathfinder patch on the sleeve as it was not pictured in the auction.

Do you have any information about these patches worn by 8th air force officers ?

20160142.jpg

20160143.jpg

20160144.jpg

20160145.jpg

20160146.jpg

And then from an another auction. Unfortunately it is not named and the moths have eaten the back of one sleeve. I guess it was blue back month !

There is only a small tag inside. Do you think it has something to do with the last owner ?

Thanks for your help

20160153.jpg

20160154.jpg

20160155.jpg

What a fine grouping! The paint on the A-2 jacket is very nice. I'm envious of the pathfinder insignia on the tan jacket. Jack

Wow! Very nice! The patch on the A-2 is that of the 351st BS from the very famous 100th Bomb Group!! 100th BG items always command a premium. Congrats on your find. Also to whomever got his other items. There was some very nice material there!

JD

If I recall correctly, certain AAF personnel, like their ground counter-parts, could be qualified as Pathfinders as well. Only their mission was to lead squadrons to their designated mission locations. Jack

Thanks for your comments JDK. Do you have any information on the pathfinder patch ?

Jack is correct. Adding to his answer.... He may have served as the squadron lead bombardier. Also, some crews were tasked with dropping smoke markers or incendiary bombs ahead of the rest of the squadron to mark the bombing target.

JD

Thanks to both of you.

What do you think about the fact he is wearing observer wings on his red lined jacket but he was first trained as a bombardier ?

Glad to see a forum member ended up with his uniforms. I bid on the A-2 but didn't win. It sold for $3,835. If I would've known there was a pathfinder patch I'd have given you some more competition on the uniforms haha. The other lots did include many bombardier wings so it's surprising to see the wing on his uniform is an observer wing. Hopefully another forum member won his papers and we can see more of those. Congrats on the great purchase!

I asked the auctionner to send an email to the winner who won the paper lot to tell him that I wanted to contact him. They told they will do it but I got no answer

Any comments on the observer wings ? He was qualified as a bombardier. Does it means he qualified for something else after to be able to wear those wings ?