Vietnam Bronze Star, etc. Medal Grouping

Calvin Hall

I recently rescued this one from a local pawn shop. The shop owners stated that a young fellow guy this in, but they couldn't provide any additional information. IMO, his son probably pawned this grouping.

Several of the medals are named: Bronze Star, Merit. Service and Good Conduct. I wonder if he didn't also receive a Purple Heart as there appears to be space for it in the way that the medals are laid out on the black cloth.

I am attempting to research this fellow. I have a copy of his obit, but I have not been able to locate any of his relatives. I even wonder if I should try to contact his relatives. His obit states that he loved parachuting, and this jives w/ the jump wings in the lot. AnAnh ultra quick search indicates that he may have served with the 101st Abn.

I have mailed a SF180 off in hopes of getting some additional info.

Anyone have any additional ideas for research?

Calvin

post-2080-1219500523.jpg

SilverbackMP

Both the Bronze Star and Arcom have V-Devices which means he didn't get them for just showing up as a LT or senior NCO and not screwing something up. He actually earned them.

Calvin,

That is an outstanding save. I never thought to look in a pawn shop. So sad someone would pawn these. I can't even imagine it.

Not being a big VN guy, can you please tell me what the cross type medal on the bottom row is?

Thank you!

Calvin,

That is an outstanding save. I never thought to look in a pawn shop. So sad someone would pawn these. I can't even imagine it.

Not being a big VN guy, can you please tell me what the cross type medal on the bottom row is?

Thank you!

Never mind, got it:

Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross

Calvin,

Thank you!

I have found some wonderful items in pawn shops including a Junker Knights Cross. Most of what I have found has been German items including armbands, helmet, assault badges, daggers, etc. For whatever reason, there are certain pawn shops that tend to get this stuff. Pawn shops in the 'hood never seem to have what I am looking for. Pawn shops in white, older parts of town are better places to look.

I have found some wonderful items in pawn shops including a Junker Knights Cross. Most of what I have found has been German items including armbands, helmet, assault badges, daggers, etc. For whatever reason, there are certain pawn shops that tend to get this stuff. Pawn shops in the 'hood never seem to have what I am looking for. Pawn shops in white, older parts of town are better places to look.

Interesting. I'll give that a try.

Both the Bronze Star and Arcom have V-Devices which means he didn't get them for just showing up as a LT or senior NCO and not screwing something up. He actually earned them.

Yes, I agree.

The Bronze Star is missing an Oak Leaf cluster. It appears to have fallen off at some point.

teufelhunde.ret
Calvin, That is an outstanding save. So sad someone would pawn these. I can't even imagine it.

DITTO, a sign of the economic problems that grip so many families today.

UPDATE!

I mailed off a SF180 to the archives, and I was certainly pleased with the quick response.

Here is the guy's service info...

post-2080-1220107058.jpg

Here is info about the particular units that he served with during his time in the US Army....

Not the CO K 75 Rangers and the D Troop 2/17 101st Abn Airmoblie!

post-2080-1220107226.jpg

Awards and medals information...

Odd that the air medal is not mentioned, but it is certianly reasonable to believe the he would have received this one due to his work w/ the 2/17 Cav.

post-2080-1220107309.jpg

316th FS 324th FG

Odd that the air medal is not mentioned, but it is certianly reasonable to believe the he would have received this one due to his work w/ the 2/17 Cav.

From this screen, is it safe to say the missing hole would have held his CIB?

The Air Medal and the other unlisted Bronze Stars were probably "impact awards", which were awarded on the spot and almost never entered into a soldier's permanent record.

The Air Medal and the other unlisted Bronze Stars were probably "impact awards", which were awarded on the spot and almost never entered into a soldier's permanent record.

I have heard of impact awards but did not realize they were often undocumented. If there were no orders for them, is there any record of them anywhere and how does a recipient verify entitlement? Also, how frequently were they awarded? My father earned the Purple Heart in Vietnam and actually received it while in the hospital. The award is noted on his DD-214 but there is no order or other notation anywhere in his military personnel file. Is that very common?

For a second there while reading, I thought it very similar to my Dad's grouping, except the difference between BSM counts & Parachutist vs Senior. Neat grouping.

Yes, what are 'impact awards'?

Also, can someone help with the principal duty that is listed for 13 Nov 70...it appears to read 'Scout Absingr'....what is an Absingr?

post-2080-1220608810.jpg

Yes, what are 'impact awards'?

Also, can someone help with the principal duty that is listed for 13 Nov 70...it appears to read 'Scout Absingr'....what is an Absingr?

Maybe the person writing it had bad handwriting (like I do) and it should read 'Driver' like it does two lines down? Or maybe this guy was an aerial observer and it is 'Observer' badly written down?

Sorry it took so long to respond, but from my understanding, "impact awards" were given out immediately following an operation as a sort of morale boost. Troops would be lined up and a Colonel or General would come along and pin on Bronze Stars, Commendation Medals, etc., and go on their merry way. Unfortunately, with this practice of issuing medals on the spot, names were almost never taken down, so no evidence of the decoration would appear in a soldier's record. He'd basically have a Bronze Star that was definitely pinned on his chest by his commander, but he wouldn't have an accompanying certificate or citation as "proof" of the award. I'd never heard of them either until I read a biography of Medal of Honor recipient Joe Hooper a couple of years ago. Apparently, a couple of his lower ranking decorations were impact awards and never appeared in his record.