Vietnam era, Full Bird Colonel's helmet set. Col. Gayle.

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

Haven't post a helmet in a while so thought I would show this one. I picked this set up over the summer and found it was also detailed here in 2013, but no one was ever able to nail down who "Colonel Gayle" was. But what I found interesting is I also peeled back the front of the cover and found that a 2nd Colonel insignia is also sewn on the tan side of the cover. I don't think this was discovered previously looking at the other thread. I didn't peel the back up to see if his name is also on the tan side because I didn't want to push it and mess up the undisturbed cover. I also found plenty of old dried up foliage under the cover and inside the slits when you peak in them. So I'm sure this is a good original un-messed with set, just to bad there is nothing further to research and figure out who he is??

Was it in Vietnam? No telling, but if it was, it sure wasn't in the jungle for any period of time.

Also, hard to see in the pictures, but there are three tears in the cover that also line up with a dents and rusted areas directly underneath in the helmet shell.

I also like how he penned in on the front of his helmet band (O5), at first glance I thought it was (US), but it's definitely an "O5".

post-33000-0-10960200-1445994409.jpg post-33000-0-80822700-1445994453.jpg post-33000-0-22677800-1445994478.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

All I could find was a Gayle in 1969 Reserve Officers Register, a Adolph B. Gayle who was a Major of the Chemical Corps, no listing of Gayle in the Active list.

http://www.mocavo.com/Official-Army-Register-for-1-January-1969-Volume-2/426820/408

Patches,

Thanks. I don't know how I would ever know for sure who my "Gayle" is, but if that is him, I also found this on him.

post-33000-0-91249900-1446078628.jpg