1st ID Military Police grouping.

USdog

This group recently surfaced on the bay and was being split up by the seller who found it at the veterans estate. I was only able to get his helmet at first, but found out a fellow forum member had some of his other items he was able to get from the seller, so we struck a deal to keep the items together. (Thanks Ben!). Unfortuneatlely his uniform and MP armband was sold separately as well. If anyone got it PM me please!

Anyways, here is what I was able to get. Helmet is a swivel bail and has a heat stamp of 231B. When I first got the lid I couldn't find markings anywhere, but when I took it outside I could see "TANNER" very faintly scratched inside. Before anyone says anything, I know, not the helmet he wore at D-Day but maybe a late war replacement? Any idea why it doesn't feature MP markings?

Also has his dog tag (which could have very well been worn on D-Day), VFW hat with original ribbons, MP ID card, and post war medals and insignia.

SGT. George Tanner was in the MP Platoon of the 1st ID and was I believe a replacement after Operation Torch and participated in the Sicily campaign. During this time he recieved the Soldiers Medal for heroism. (See citation)

After Sicily was Normandy for Tanner. Sgt. Tanner landed at Omaha Beach on D-Day with the MP platoon. He was WIA in the assault but still performed duty despite his wounds. For his actions he recieved the Silver Star Medal. (I will post the account of the landing of the MP Platoon)

He later served in the campaigns of Northern France and the Ardennes (Bulge). In January 1945, he recieved the Bronze Star Medal and I believe was transferred for some reason.

I'm very honored to have this heroes group. It may be smaller than other groups out there but the history sure makes up for it!

Enjoy and thanks for looking...

post-93633-0-93795600-1440533969.jpg

Connor,

Beautiful grouping. I love the Dog Tag. This guy was a true hero. To bad you couldn't keep the whole grouping together, that MP arm band is killer.

Oh well, it looks like you got the majority anyways. Great grouping

Dave

Connor,

Beautiful grouping. I love the Dog Tag. This guy was a true hero. To bad you couldn't keep the whole grouping together, that MP arm band is killer.

Oh well, it looks like you got the majority anyways. Great grouping

Dave

Thanks Dave. Yeah, the MP armband is really cool isn't it! Hope I can reunite the items someday, but I'm not complaining ;)

• 3 months later...