Help with a USCG patch ICELAND

ScottG

I received an immediate post war USCG jumper, hat and extra rate yesterday from the family of the vet. They had very little info as he was an in law to the person who gave it to me and the vet died in 1995. It appears he went in service in 1945-46 and he carried a radiomans rate. Above that rate is a polar bear patch that is identical to that worn by the USMC in Iceland. I would like to know what the polar bear patch is for?

I realize a picture would be helpful but I use Photobucket... So, can't post them here. If anyone can help, I would certainly shoot a picture through e-mail. Thanks for any and all answers. Scott.

Can't wait to hear from the USCG experts about this patch. Might be helpful to include some Marine experts as well.

I would love to hear any thoughts. I am almost certain he was too young to be an Iceland marine. Scott.

Thanks again Johnny for the Facebook heads up. I don't do facebook, but I had my Wife send a request so I can answer some of the posts. So, hopefully it will get approved.

The jumper was given to me Saturday by the vets Sister in Law. She didn't know much about his service. So far the info I have is that his name was Richard Reule and he was from Ann Arbor MI. He was born in 1928 and died in 1995. I have the jumper, the hat and an extra rate dated 1942. I am certain he was too young to be an Iceland Marine who then later joined the Coast Guard... All I know is that it is the way I got it. In fact, the Sister in Law doesn't even know about the polar bear patch as the jumper was stored inside out and I didn't check it until much later in the day as it was one of about 6 groupings that I received on Saturday. (It is for a museum) She does have more to include paperwork and she will be bringing it to me, but I don't know when... Until then I will wait, as there is no point in ordering research if the paperwork will tell me what I need to know. Scott.

I think it is very Iceland specific, unofficial and scarce combination.

Thanks for the opinion and hopefully I will know something soon. I have contacted the donor about the rest of the group and when I hear back from her, I plan to ask if her Brother in Law ever mentioned Iceland as having been a place he served. Scott.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to the donor today and they don't ever recall the vet saying anything about being in Iceland, but they did say he was stationed in Newfoundland. Any thoughts on that? I have ordered his records but there is still time to speculate! Scott

• 1 month later...

I received EM3 Ruele's records from Mark Sanders today and am not any closer to learning why he had a polar bear patch... He was stationed out of COMNORLANTPAT in Boston. He served at Fox Island Light Station, and on the cutters Androscoggins and McCulloch for a brief time. No mention of Iceland at all. A family member remembers him talking about Newfoundland but it isn't a great lead.

Thanks for all of the help and opinions both here and on the Facebook site. Scott