MKII ? grenade body

JosephC

Bought this past weekend off shelf in booth at Bouckville Antiques Fest. NYS. Yellow painted body, solid bottom. narrow threaded fuse port. casting has a U and something else just above the U. There are 6 holes or remnants of rivets or something (three on once side and three opposite) that appear original as the paint is over that (unless paint is later applied and not original). They do not go all the way through body. I did see a similar comment/example in grenades REF. section - http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/80014-mk-ii-grenade-body/

Any comment on this grenade body - original WWII era? what are the holes/wires for - is the yellow color original?

Thanks

Joe

post-967-0-57552200-1439739892.jpg

post-967-0-55634800-1439739902.jpg

post-967-0-01810700-1439739916.jpg

post-967-0-86940800-1439739928.jpg

post-967-0-77142400-1439739939.jpg

post-967-0-39030700-1439739951.jpg

Dirt Detective

Hi Joe,

Congrats on finding the yellow body. I think the holes are casting marks. The yellow stands a chance of being original in my opinion but without bigger better pics or having in hand cant be 100%. It would be nice to have bigger pics here but I understand the dilemma why not.

Hi Joe,

Congrats on finding the yellow body. I think the holes are casting marks. The yellow stands a chance of being original in my opinion but without bigger better pics or having in hand cant be 100%. It would be nice to have bigger pics here but I understand the dilemma why not.

larger pic

post-967-0-00533100-1439745650.jpg

I suppose the shades of yellow varied, but in general they had an orange-ish shade to them....Your has more of a lemon yellow shade....Is the hole threaded?....Bodes

the top hole is threaded and the narrow threads as compared to the more modern versions. Bottom is solid.

Brodys Collection

I am still relatively new to grenades and look forward to seeing what else others have to say about this grenade but I think it looks and sounds good.

There are several threads pertaining to the yellow color of these grenade bodies. I too tend to lean toward a yellow with a slight orange tint to it but there are those that claim there was no specification for the paint so colors varied. Until we hear something definitive I'd say if you like it that's all that matters. It's a solid bottom version which I believe came out around late 1942 or early 1943. Before that there was a second threaded hole, in the bottom, used for filling the explosive. That is also the approximate time frame for changing the color from all yellow to OD green with a small yellow band around the throat.

I can't help with the markings. I know of 4 makers who's company names start with the letter U but I have not seen any bodies attributed to them.

post-3856-0-23659300-1439805387.jpg

thank you. it is more of an orange/yellow in person but not as orange as the two pictured above. First picture I placed at start is more indicative of in hand color.

it does look a little to yellow to me but I would still have it in my museum great find if you hold a few originals you can get a feel for the paint aswell

I would suspect there was most certainly a specification for the paint. In all specifications I seen that require a paint job they list most often a Federal Specification. Any paint regardless of shade would have to meet this basic requirement.

If one were to turn up the specification its possible you might see one of the following Federal Specifications of the era.

-TT-C-291 CHROME, YELLOW, DRY, PASTE-IN-JAPAN, PASTE-IN-OIL (LEMON, MEDIUM, ORANGE).

-TT-P-53 PAINT, OUTSIDE, READY-MIXED, MEDIUM-CHROME ORANGE.

-TT-P-59 PAINT, READY-MIXED, INTERNATIONAL ORANGE.

Here is an example of a WWII era specification and the items that are required listed under Federal Specification. Unfortunately no paint and I have specs that require paint jobs but they are under joint A/N specs but this is for illustration purposes. If they cover the tape to be used you can bet they called out a spec for the paint.

post-56-0-24050600-1440003951.jpg

This is a snippet for aluminum oars and I would suspect the construction of a grenade body would look much the same, these specs are joint A/N but if you drop it they are Standard Federal Stock Class numbers for specifications. The entry of direct interest would be for the primer.

post-56-0-13699200-1440004365.jpg

I have always leaned toward a specification also. Working for the government for 40+ years one develops an instinct about government specifications. Meaning, there will ALWAYS be one and it will be right down to the "Nth" degree.

This thread has a discussion I started on the yellow color of period grenades. You can see there is quite a variance of opinions.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/246335-grenade-color/